Neighbors from hell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to live in a really nice area in Inglewood, CA where Caucasian, African-American, Hispanic and Asian folks all lived together in peaceful harmony with kids playing in the yards... it just had a great feel.
Then the neighbors from hell moved in, and the parties started. This was in separate houses, but the party kitchen was next to our bedroom. Really obnoxious, and all the procedures were gone thru to no avail, until we just finally moved out of our very nice rental house, to buy a house a few blocks away. I saw the guy slap his wife one day on the front porch. They had kids, too.
Soon after we moved out, a drive-by shooting happened at the party home, and they moved away, to the relief of the rest of the folks who lived there.
All I can say is, these kind of people are probably living in hell, and just want to share their environment with everybody else. Keep a baseball (or cricket) bat near the door, and keep dealing with it as you have been, and be as patient as you can.
They will self-destruct eventually.

Hi Marty,

If they are still raging at 7am, the likelihood is that drugs are involved. If you can raise this with the rozzers,  you are more likely to get them to come round, especially if you think any dealing is going on. Whatever you do, do not let them know that it is you who has complained. I have been in this position, and found my flat being regularly burgled, dogshit through the letterbox, and I even found a rag soaked in petrol through the letterbox(unlit). It took ages and ages, with the situation getting progressively worse. eventually, it became a crack den. I lived at the studio for months.

Sympathy,

ANdyP

Tough with government agencies , loads'o'rules
and they have to give them every chance , but
I'd think the complaining has started the process, so
on one hand keep it up so you can continue & get them kicked out
[ she's gotta learn sometime ] and in the meantime see if there other things
you can try , would the landlord rather lose you , a stable and good tentant ?
put some pressure wherever you can

bruno2000 said:
Long ago I had an upstairs neighbor that was fond of playing their music REALLY loud, REALLY late at night.
My solution was to just remove their electric meter at the back of the apartment complex, and put it back in upside down, breaking the connection.  No electricity, no sound.
Returned the meter right side up in the morning.
Best,
Bruno2000

;D    That's the type alternative I'd be looking for.  This is good guile.

Marty: That type of crowd will eventually self destruct on their own.  If you should see or smell anything illegal maybe social services can intervene because of the child involved.  The police should, but if they come they won't take them all and as said before - a crowd with nothing to lose is dangerous.  Touchy situation.  Maybe you have other neighbors who could ban together to file complaints?  Then it looks less personal.
I wish you the best of luck in solving this.

How about asking this girl to shut the f**k up powered with this:

moas26yr.jpg

some years ago I had a problem that lasted quite a few years - drug ppl in the neighbourhood / suburbs.

long story short. If you are unsure if they will use weapons or steel bars, etc .. first check them out how far are they willing to go.

if they group up, perhaps they are just trying to intimidate/scare you. Otoh, if they are a wild party bunch, they might snap at you if the mood strikes - you never know.

in any case, but seriously, manure forks (the small ones with four spikes) have the ability to scare thughs Sh*tless. (that's no joke btw. I -did- have to use it on some assholes)

thumb2.php

hint: practice with it - moves like with the aikido stick etc. but beware - this thing can kill easily. there are even smaller ones, perhaps more convenient to use in "self defence". check out some gardening tools shop etc..

use psychology first. check the guys out beforehand to determine if they are types that would truly use weapons or do some damage.

... or get yourself a nice fireman axe.. it looks more manly (in the sense that to the young, could be inebriated guys, this would perhaps more efficiently communicate the "I mean bussiness" message than some manure forks that would provoke laughter until you swing them). But then, they could blame you for assault. (iow, with the axe, you could perhaps just have to "show up" to be taken seriously. but the fork is much nastier when you swing it around - if provoked in a self-defence situation)

in any case, a Gandhi style non-violent solution would be better, but if the threat continues, some self-defence action could be required..

Best way to avoid the physical confrontation is to leave the situation. That really does keep everyone safe. But... You should be prepared for battle because sometimes people are just stupid.

Mace/teargas/Pepper-Spray all that works wonders... get several cans and experiment with how it affects you so you know how to stay away from it. Don't use it unless you have to... It will bring a group of angry assholes to their knees. very quickly and for a long time. Then leave and call the police. just maybe bash them up a bit before you leave.

Keep your doors locked.

Sleep light...

they won't be there too long.

hope things turnaround for you.

Cheers,
jb

I'd leave for work playing the Macarena on repeat all day. Loud enough to be annoying but low enough to not get yourself in trouble. Best results are after a night of partying.

You can also set up an alarm clock to go off through an megaphone.

You gota figure if your complaints are going nowhere, neither would complaints about you.  If anything it would force a mediator to deal with the situation.  I like the idea of playing The Macarena all day @100dB, but you might need to pull out El Sonidito for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x47NYUbtYb0

Begin documenting everything. Dates, times... when the noise begins and when it ends.
Make recordings, videotape an spl meter, carry a mini digital recorder whenever you speak to the bad neighbor (check to see if that is legal where you are). Ask your neighbors to join your complaint. Build a case for economic harm...lost sleep, lost days at work... for a civil suit.

If you can, get photos or video of everyone who comes and goes to the apartment.

Documentation makes your case specific and credible...and, if they are using drugs or breaking the law in any way, it can be used to make them incredibly paranoid.

bruno2000 said:
Long ago I had an upstairs neighbor that was fond of playing their music REALLY loud, REALLY late at night.
My solution was to just remove their electric meter at the back of the apartment complex, and put it back in upside down, breaking the connection.  No electricity, no sound.
Returned the meter right side up in the morning.
Best,
Bruno2000

Could be dangerous yanking the meter under load, though a great idea. I lived in a condo where I had a late-night music-playing neighbor. After asking politely several times, I purchased a pad lock and went to the meter bank at the side of the building. Found their disconnect, shut it off and locked it out. It was quite satisfying - they had to get the power company to come out, along with an electrician, the next morning when they discovered they were the only ones without power. It took them three pad locks to finally stop their poor behaviour, though the cost to me was well worth it.

Marty should notify Child Welfare that the kid is in danger.

First off I have to say that all your support is very much appreciated :)
You guys ROCK !!

Things came to a head last week, Police came looking for the boyfriend (unrelated to noise problem)
And she got a serious warning from Police who also spoke to us and other neighbours.

There are complaints from 4 locals but yes, she knows we are heavily disturbed, guys next door are
Off due to her and a family with children move in, in two weeks.
Police made her aware of that, so she's on "final chance" or she's out !
Went away to my brothers for the weekend in sunny Norfolk, was quiet here and so far, no abuse
Or nasty stuff through the letter box.
We hope that this is enough to stop, or she moves on to party somewhere else.
We are selling up anyway and will move to Berlin in the coming weeks as soon as possible.
So get some beers in the fridge Volker !

Keep you posted,
Marty.

Your alive! I thought we might have to organize a prodigy pro search and rescue squad.

Good to hear things are on the upswing. Sounds like the boyfriend is a real charmer. It amazes me how far things have to go before people "get it", which she should by now. Wonder if that will help her kid get some sleep now.

Moving to Berlin! That's awesome! I have always wanted to go there.

Back