dumbing down the music business one song at a time.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sadly it's not a gag. Maybe I need to write some songs..

(Insert famous engineer here) is using my op amp
(Insert famous engineer here)is using my gear
OMG he's using my gear
OMG it makes her sound clear.

"Me and you and a dog named Boo,

travelin' and livin' on the land.

Me and you and a dog named Boo,

how I love to be, a free man. . .

If you start to parse lyrics, it all went downhill during Vaudville.  "Bird is the Word" is just a point along the decline.

And pop is fun music.  Being silly is fun.  Hey-hey, rama-rama, shama-lama ding-dong!
Mike

pucho812 said:
Geezer? Hardly. There is plenty of non vh1 and mtv music outlets that in the u.s. happen to play good music and music I like. Good pop is good pop. I like good pop. The beach boys come to mind as does les paul & mary ford, etc, etc, etc. However  the song in the original post is hardly an example of good pop.  Yeah kids 13-18 buy the majority of music and blah blah blah. so what... They are now buying bad pop.

But most people who watched the video in question hate it.  It's universally disliked by the hip kids and the candy pop kids and hardly the downfall of music as some suggest here.

I'm admittedly out of the loop with the common kids.  I work at a university in a hipster part of Seattle so all the 17-22 year-olds here have generally great taste in music new an old.  Not out of the ordinary to see a bunch of kids jamming to Pet Sounds or something by the Animal Collective.  I'm also admittedly a 35 year-old hipster (wanabe) indie rock snob.

By the time YOU like it I won't like it anymore ;)

Mike

childrens should be childrens, why they become pop-stars? they could think it's funny but what they have at the end? she could think she really sing and of course she is not. she will think she is atractive, etc.

parents, producers, music industry... ::)

pucho812 said:
sadly it's not a gag. Maybe I need to write some songs..

(Insert famous engineer here) is using my op amp
(Insert famous engineer here)is using my gear
OMG he's using my gear
OMG it makes her sound clear.

Heck I'd buy that song! Probably bump it in my car too! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

hey, some ppl. get by ... get over it

But what you failed to see is these youtube kids actually have fun doing this "pop" thing. It's like they are aying "hello world, look, I'm stupid". Haha..

seavote said:
i thought it was good for a laugh.  i think only about half the 13 year old girls it targets will get that they are the brunt of a joke. as for musicallity??  i dont think it really matters if gag songs have any. in this instance its almost the point!!!

. . . finally someone gets to the apparent point of this video. 

sadly it's not a gag

Well, you could have fooled me.  Know an inside story on this?

After a quick google on her it appears that she wrote this.  So it may be self parody(or righteous indignation).  Kind of daring and bright for a 13 year old seeking a career in the shallow glamorous and highly polished world of teenage pop stars no?  Maybe I'm reading a Zappaesque (think Valley Girls) mindset into this one - the apparent sarcasm would be of the same type.

Some writer here read something else from it - and not a young Wednesday Addams or Weird Al Yank-O surfacing

http://myboobsaredownthere.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/

As for the lame production & tune - seems no better or worse than Leif Garret, Donny Osmond, or The Bay City Rollers were way back when or any other teen star now.  Having the aptitude for sophisticated (very much so for a 13yr old) satire is what seems to minorly spare this one from the chopping block.  Maybe it's being dumbed down on purpose.  Honest self parody will be accepted but finger pointing will not.  Sounds like lots of universal dislike.

Yet, there are still plenty of college educated adults who listen to and love Steely Dan and haven't the faintest clue as to what is being said to them.  And probably don't care. . . 

lassoharp said:
Yet, there are still plenty of college educated adults who listen to and love Steely Dan and haven't the faintest clue as to what is being said to them.  And probably don't care. . .  
:eek:
I was under the assumption even f*gen didn't know what they were on about  ;)

edit :that's Donald Fagen, BTW --whatever the software thinks, haha
Interestingly the software changes the capital "F" to lowercase --besides censoring the "a"

Eric H said:
lassoharp said:
Yet, there are still plenty of college educated adults who listen to and love Steely Dan and haven't the faintest clue as to what is being said to them.  And probably don't care. . . 
:eek:
I was under the assumption even f*gen didn't know what they were on about  ;)

I believe it was on their PBS live performance back around 2000 -there's a hilarious moment during a between song Q & A where a middle aged woman apparently starts to figure out 'Cousin Dupree'.  Worth checking out if you can still find it. 

@JohnR - Physical attractiveness has been a key component in music industry success for at least 2 and 1/2 of those 3 decades.  :D By the mid-80's it was mandatory. A group like Loverboy could've never been signed if they showed up just 3 years later, in the period when music videos were fresh and airing in prime time.

We know attractiveness wasn't such an issue in the 70's because of the success of Janis Joplin and Jim Croce. (They weren't attractive right?)

C-vote was first to identify that this music is a form of satire where the joke is on the people who get it - or don't get it. Think Sigue Sigue Sputnik - a big tongue-in-cheek party. The major difference is, while the producers are definitely in on the joke, the performers probably are not - or aren't old enough to understand why it's just mean.

This giant sarcastic shift in today's cultural product is all over television, Michael Cera movies <-- you know what I'm talking about? - and bands like Die Antwoord | 2010, Steel Panther | 2009, The Darkness | 2004, shit, going all the way back to Spinal Tap / '84, maybe before - just varying in the depth of tongue in cheek.

It's just become mainstream to make everything a big joke. No critic can harm you if you're intentionally ridiculous. And while The Office (TV show) was funny, Parks and Recreation was a safe regurgitation of a proven formula. Not funny.

The most courageous and original thing you could do in 2011 is produce a serious, soul-bearing album completely from the heart.

Back