Gates Radio SA-39 Input/Output/Power Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opacheco

Hi,

Someone know which ones were the 3 different input transformers, 3 different output transformers, 2 different power transformers used in this amazing Limiter?. I readed this in a old topic here but this was delete.

Spec will be ok and the models and brands will be great!.

Thanks a lot,
Opacheco.

600:80K (like UTC LS-12X), 7700-5000:600, Triad R-11, 8H (I think) choke. 

emrr said:
600:80K (like UTC LS-12X), 7700-5000:600, Triad R-11, 8H (I think) choke.   

emrr,
Thanks a lot for the info!.

Are these Transformer made today?.....I found a SA-39 but I will need to resto it. Someone pull out the transformers and I will need to get them, new or used or NOS.

Do you have the calibrate procedure docs for this unit?

Thanks a lot,
Opacheco.

The audio iron was always custom.  Anything you'd use for a BA-6A/26U/356E/Unilevel/etc would work here.  You will probably have to make mounting plates for any new iron.

The power trans is a very common value, and the Triad catalogs are available online for determining specs.  The R-14A is what you usually see put on as replacements, as the R-11's are borderline for current spec.  The choke is a standard value, there's also the additional filament transformer which should be obvious. 

All the info is on the schematic I've posted.  The only thing not obvious would be the adjustment of R43 to obtain 275VDC at V8 pin 5. 

emrr said:
The audio iron was always custom.  Anything you'd use for a BA-6A/26U/356E/Unilevel/etc would work here.  You will probably have to make mounting plates for any new iron.

The power trans is a very common value, and the Triad catalogs are available online for determining specs.   The R-14A is what you usually see put on as replacements, as the R-11's are borderline for current spec.  The choke is a standard value, there's also the additional filament transformer which should be obvious.  

All the info is on the schematic I've posted.  The only thing not obvious would be the adjustment of R43 to obtain 275VDC at V8 pin 5.  

emrr
Where is the schematic that you posted??....

Thanks for your comments and help information!!
Opacheco.

I recived a PM(I'm not authorized to display the name of the sender on privacy issues) with interesting info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.......You should be able to get by with Edcors.  They won't sound exactly like the original but they will sound good.  The original is fairly dark sounding.

For the input you could try a 600:15K or 15K:15K.  Edcor makes a hefty 8K:600 output that would work well with the 6V6.

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/431-cxpp10-600-8k.aspx

The PT and choke can be anything of suitable spec from Hammond or Edcor.  I would advise getting a PT with at least a 150ma current rating.  Many of the originals used a somewhat underrated PT.  The one on mine runs hot as an egg fryer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sound interesting!!....Rigth?

any comment?.
Opacheco.

Latest posts

Back