G1176 and GSSL component question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moqtev

Hello all!

Here is some questions from a newbie hope ist OK!

I want to build the G1176 and the GSSL starting with the SSL I've ordered PCBs from Gustav here in Denmark. Im in middle of getting all the components and have some worries about that.

1) Capacitors: Is there anything I should look out for quality wise...simply put does some sound better than other?

2) VCAs for the SSL audio path: I might be lucky to get hold of a couple of 202s but what would you recommend instead...there seems to be a lot of choices?

best regards and happy new year!!

Morten Eriksen

Hi Morten,

Welcome to "The Lab"..!

For polyester capacitors, the best ones are Wima from "Århus Radiolager" - make sure they fit in the pcb's.

For electrolytics, it's harder here in denmark. I use the low-esr 105degrees type from radiolageret.

For VCA's I think you will be best off with the That 2181LB - available locally from either TC electronics (as a spare part) or from "værkstedet for lys og lyd" (THAT 2181LB 101,-/stk - Klaus, Værkstedet for lys og lyd - 8672 2555)

Jakob E.

The 2181's are not pre trimmed, like the 2180's are. So the are capable of greater specs if you trim them with a distortion analizer. They check the chips at the foundry, and the best ones get sold as the la distinction, the worst ones as lc. This is also reflected in the price. When I spoke with black Lion who used to sell the 2180lb's, He said that he didn't stock the la's because every piece of gear that showed up on his repair bench, that used these vcas, had the lb's. I guess it justified him saving money. My suggestion go with the 2181la's if you have a distortion analizer. If not get the pre trimmed 2180la's if you can find them in Denmark, These parts are not expensive, Get the best sounding ones.
Peter

I think they can cost as much as $5000. Thats what one of THAT's engineers told me they had spent. he recomened renting one. I'm looking for a software solution. Doesn't spectrafoo do distortion? I'm on the mac side, But for all pc users there has to be software readily available.
Peter

OUCH! I guess I can live without a distortion analyzer!!! I'd be curious to see if people think spectrafoo or the waves analyzer are decent alternatives.

Latest posts

Back