Analog DIY obsession in the digital age

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joechris

Well, Im building a new studio these days, and I want a clean working envirement. A big screen, a big mac, some good plugins and a couple of great mics, and some pres.
And thats about all I need to make music the way I want it to be. But in my basement I have a big collection of parts, PCBs, old stuff and new stuff, gold plated switches, tubes and
dreams of projeckts I could build. But in my every day life, I see I dont realy need it anymore. I find it harder and harder to find the motivation to finish up projects.
Of cause a good compressor, a nice eq and so on, but I only need one or two, not many. I see the traditional workflow in studios change more and more every day...
How do you, friends of DIY, keep up you motivation? I can see the value of spending some time with the soldering iron, just to build something with your own hands is a great pleasure.
But if it is of no use? Should I clean out the closet...

j

For me every additoinal piece of outboard means another track I can do in real time and don't have to print during mixdown and production. To my ears the advantages of good analog hardware are still very obvious, and it will still be a loooong time until usefull realtime circuit emulation in the computer is where my hardware is today.

Tracking Rock Drums and tight mic'ing?  That's enough reason for me  ;D  I just expanded my I/O to 48 In 48 Out just to allow more inputs for DIY Gear (printing parallel compression on individual inputs while tracking, extra mics for options in the mix, etc).

I will admit I have 3 projects waiting to be built and 2 others that are still in the "Troubleshooting" phase (one channel of each unit works, but the other doesn't and I'm not the best at troubleshooting this stuff!).  After I got a slew of DIY Mic Pre's and a few good DIY 1176's done to perfection, my "drive" has dwindled just a little.  I really need to get cracking on my pile, too!

Taking a break is sometimes just wat the doctor ordered.  Re-attack your pile of projects as you get the "DIY bug" again.  If you are anything like me, you might go through a few months of obsessing on a specific area (like DIY Audio gear), then move on (build a new PC or modify your vehicle, whatever), and return to the DIY Audio obsession months later with renewed vigor.  I get these OCD tendancies from my pops  :D

8)

Latest posts

Back