dandeurloo

Re: PRR-176 vari-mu
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:02 AM »
Yep!

Haha, you know what I think!

Good :) Your going to offer cases for this right?

PROFESSIONAL CHASSIS AND FRONT PANELS FOR DIY PROJECTS: WWW.COLLECTIVECASES.COM

Dan Deurloo
www.collectivecases.com
www.risendrums.com

abechap024

Re: PRR-176 vari-mu
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
Great. Glad people are as excited as me about tasting the forbidden fruit!

I like uncrowded PCBs but the main board PCB is already pretty big. I've tried to leave as much room where it counts so hopefully its enough room for most. If the PCB starts getting too big, prices starts to rise pretty quickly.

The schematic is all there, I guess I could see how it looks confusing because everything is already split up onto different PCBs. But if your wondering about the parts around the tube its almost resistor for resistor just like the 176 schematic.

And the sidechain is almost just like the PRR.

If you wondering about stereo-linking I have both circuits using their attack and release controls while stereo linked. On my prototype I have it hardwired stereo, and only uses one sidechain (sums the DC after the rectification and one timing circuit) It seems to work very well.

AC Sound - some DIY circuitboards

abechap024

Re: "P-R-R-1-7-6" vari-mu
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
Also there is option for lundahl input tranny..

mylesgm

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
Definitely in for 1 stereo possibly two.  I've got one already but I'd like the i/o, the hpf etc and I do need to build a new ps so why not start from scratch.
Check my work at www.mylesmumford.com

abechap024

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
Just having a bit of fun ;D  Maybe thats what the projects name should be...then everyone would really be confused....

abechap024

Re: PRR 176 vari-mu
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
So me and Dan are working out some final details on the case...we are going to have HPF option on the front of the PCB and then also stereo link on the front of the PCB. This makes wiring up a bit easier.

We want to do Bypass, but what do you guys think, a built in hardpass would be optimal but at this point its going to probably take a large redesign. What if we just bypassed the GR?
Thoughts?

mylesgm

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 02:25:05 AM »
bypass the GR then we can use the units as a colour tool.  Hard bypass can be done in the daw.

M
Check my work at www.mylesmumford.com

Matthew Jacobs

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:32 AM »
Hard bypass can be done in the daw.

And we can always add our own bypass boards...

jandoste

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
What if we just bypassed the GR?
Thoughts?

Great idea!

Davo

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »
A separate relay I/O board is another option for hard bypass.... although that means extra wiring, plus the extra board... probably not the best option (although that's what I did with my
just completed PRR)

On another note, are you making separate boards for the PSU?

Cheers,
Dave

abechap024

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
Ok great feedback guys.

And Yes the power supply is on a separate board. I originally had it use a tl783 to regulate the 100v until I built my prototype and found that a Zener is cheaper, simpler and works great.

All the other rails are regulated: +/-18v, +1.5v, +12.6v (heaters in series)

This is really going to be a sharp project, I think. Dan is really pulling out the stops on the case! I'm excited for this one especially.

0dbfs

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »
I would vote for hard-bypass. Makes the most sense for A/B'ing and closely matching levels. Bypassing GR seems much less useful because you get a level change but very nice for line-amp use with no GR.

But it is DIY and bypass relay boards can be added one way or another after the project is done or during the initial build as well as GR bypass.

So can we have both? Please?

Best,
jb

Music is everything!
Audio is everything else!

abechap024

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
For conveniences sake, I would say hard bypass would be nice to have. Personally I just Hard Bypass with my patch-bay (though it doesn't wor kexactly the same i know..:)).

Because of the limited front panel space I think we need to choose between Hard bypass and GR bypass:

Gr Bypass - still lets you make judgments on what the compression is doing to your sound, and lets the unit double as a line amp and because of the transformers and tubes it does add a nice tone to things.

Hard Bypass - gives you more of a judicial standpoint to judge from, takes the unit completely out of the signal path. Separate PCBs available on the forum to add in later if one is needed.

I think it best to have the GR bypass built in, as adding hard-bypass later is much easier than trying to add GR bypass later.

Also update on stereo linking: When the stereo link is engaged, the left side controls will control both left and right, so no matching both sides. This also means that potentiometers can be used if someone doesn't want to deal with lorins...

0dbfs

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
Shot down!

I'll go with the prescribed design and like it :)

I mean A/B could be sort useless because this will make everything just sound better anyway.

Best,
jb
Music is everything!
Audio is everything else!

Script

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
Too many knobs, too little space? Why not put "hard bypass" and "GR bypass" (I'd call it AMP) on one and the same switch?

Rotary (either):
OFF - AMP - COMP
   \       |       /

Rotary (or):
OFF - COMP - AMP
    \       |       /

Toggle:
(ON)  -- AMP
(OFF) -- BYPASS
(ON)  -- COMP

Anyway, I'd definitely separate switches for L and R. Why? Well, I might want to feed MS into the unit, using COMP on M and AMP (or BYPASS) on S, or the other way round.

What we'd get is three switches for a stereo unit:
STEREO-DUAL MONO
AMP-BYPASS-COMP (left)
AMP-BYPASS-COMP (right)

V+ on hard bypass relays should probably switch AMP & COMP in.
(If something fails inside the unit, we still have sound = radio standard).

V+ on CV relay (if relays at all) should probably disconnect the sidechain.
(I guess most people will use the unit as a compressor most of the time.)

I know, rotaries -- which need more space -- are probably better because when *toggle*-switching quickly between AMP and COMP, the hard bypass relays would be deactivated for a fragment of a second. Nothing's perfect  :-\

Anyway, option for "hard bypass" relays & "sidechain/CV/AMP" relays on board would be nice. It'd think it's easier to flywire a few connection on a slightly more costly PCB than having to add several relay boards (incl. stand-offs) later. But maybe that's just me feeling lazy today :)

strangeandbouncy

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Hi,

I would ALWAYS prefer a hard bypass myself. Something like this would definitely reside in my recording chain, and I like to be able to completely bypass anything I am NOT using.

Ill be happy anyway, since I can easily add a cheep lorlin to completely bypass if necessary. ( i think . . .)

ANdyp

. . . . RUH ROH . . . . .

abechap024

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
Hmm good points.

because of limited front-space we are squeezing in all the switches to sit right by the lorins. Should be pretty nice when its done but it does make for a crowded switch PCB. But we do have room on the front panel for another switch.

So would a soft bypass and a hard bypass switch be too much? I think the extra cost will be maybe 5$ per channel, and probably one of those things once were out of the shop and in the control room we'll be glad we have...

OKAY you all talked me into it! ::)

Now someone point me in the right direction of good relays to use?

:)

Ps Here is the sweet front panel dan is designing
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:26:23 PM by abechap024 »

tomcat

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
Alternative LED meters instead of needles?  ;D

No, honestly. On a modern 1U version i would like to see a led option too. Yes i know its not christmas. And its hot too ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:28:05 PM by tomcat »

abechap024

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
Haha! A Vari-mu compressor with LEDS? That is crazy talk!  :o :o

It sounds so wrong that I honestly kind of like the idea ;D

shabtek

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
front panel design complete, how does she sound,

over...
"really fine players do not use stomp boxes or master volume, they match the amp to the room and turn it up to 11.  Stevie Ray, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Louis Armstrong"
   -CJ