A Cool Video about building 1176s

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlindell

Hey guys, thought you all might get a kick out of this video:

http://www.puremix.net/index.php?option=com_hpjvideo&id=124&Itemid=53&lang=en

We're having a bunch of fun making these kind of videos, if you guys have any constructive feedback, I'd love to hear it.

We decided not to tackle a step-by-step making 1176 video because it would just take too long and there are too many details and liabilities to deal with, so we made a documentary-style piece about how cool the 1176s are and how they aren't that difficult to make.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Sweet video Ben...and nice job of it.

The only thing i can think of...is that 'paint by numbers' is generally frowned upon by some of the more educated members here, as far as i've seen...and i can basically understand why. Newcomers to building gear may find it reasonably tough to get answers to some of the more common questions and should know ahead of time...that they need to be diligent enough to search and really help themselves... when push comes to shove with troubleshooting, etc. Some education in electrical or electronics is 'recommended' beforehand...

Wiring the PSU, esp the mains voltage part is far from paint by numbers. I have my problems with encouraging completely clueless people with this video to do this. It´s simply dangerous. But to each his own. (having said that without having watched the entire video)

I thought it was great! Very interesting and nice setup. Plus I'm pretty sure everyone should know to take caution when wiring up the mains - the only really dangerous part about it. People shouldn't be intimidated to start building their own stuff. ITs a fantastic way to learn and build confidence. And I think this video does a great job of portraying that.

That's a cool video.  High production values.
Love the trimmer.  Funny how the tape decks are all gone but the single-edge blade survived.

Ben- if you are using only two rack screws per, mount with the bottom screws and not diagonal.  You don't want to bend all those sweet front panels.
Mike

abechap024 said:
I thought it was great! Very interesting and nice setup. Plus I'm pretty sure everyone should know to take caution when wiring up the mains - the only really dangerous part about it. People shouldn't be intimidated to start building their own stuff. ITs a fantastic way to learn and build confidence. And I think this video does a great job of portraying that.

Thanks Abe, that's exactly what we were going for.

sodderboy said:
That's a cool video.  High production values.
Love the trimmer.  Funny how the tape decks are all gone but the single-edge blade survived.

Ben- if you are using only two rack screws per, mount with the bottom screws and not diagonal.  You don't want to bend all those sweet front panels.
Mike

Can you believe there wasn't a single small screwdriver in a studio?!?! I never thought that it would bend the fronts, I'll definitely go back and change those around.

Did you guys check out any of the other videos? I'm in most of the Pro Tools how to videos.

Latest posts

Back