Reference Cardioid

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus:

When you have a chance will you please post your test results that point to the AKG Solidtube as being a piece of crap.

I'm curious if our testing methods are similar as I too understand the limits of the web and the crazy claims of those ignorant and cocksure microphone manufacturers.

Thanks.

The test of the microphone was my ears. I have alot of microphones from cheap china stuff to a brauner VM1. Specs mean little or nothing to me when it comes to LD microphones.

The capsule of the solid tube is some weird design looks like half of a CK12 plastic model, and the electronics are some thing I would never build.

Some cheap china built microphones sound better than the ST.

The grill even has a foam liner. I pulled the liner and changed the tube to a good 12ax7 then 12at7 then a 6072 nothing helped.

It even has a bad design of using a LED to make the tube glow. I guess they forgot that the AC701(A tube they used in the past)was painted to keep out light that could cause noise from the photoelectric effect.

I can fully understand ?a test of the ears? but when one stridently shakes their head at web content, or tosses out subjective opinions and comments as tested knowledge, the reader is left with a big question mark and may even wonder what they have done to warrant a certain patronizing outburst.

I?ve made and continue to sell microphones that use a 12AX7. It took time and research (utilizing both technical test equipment and my ears) to balance the circuit, to make it sing.

In a nutshell, when using the 12AX7 I find myself arranging things so that the cathode sits at about 60 volts above ground, then take the bottom of the grid resistor to a tap on the cathode resistor so that the grid is a volt or so negative relative to the cathode. At the output secondary I?ll end up with something like ?40 to ?45 dB re 1V per pascal or roughly 10-15dB hotter than a SM57.

This may not be the best way to do things but it works and people like the recorded results. The final and most important test. As a side note, I?ve had clients choose an AKG Solidtube over a U87, had them laugh in my face when listening to one of my hand built babies and even had someone insist on a Turner Dynamic Model 99 for a mono overhead.

I like the 12AX7 for both subjective and objective reasons?the damn thing is ubiquitous, cheap, performs great, sounds perfect in the right circuit and is pretty much indestructible.

If a designer is using a different vacuum tube than your preferred brand or type you can usually assume that they?ve got a solid and empirical reason for it. It doesn?t necessarily mean their work and ideas are crap.

[quote author="Frank"]
In a nutshell, when using the 12AX7 I find myself arranging things so that the cathode sits at about 60 volts above ground, then take the bottom of the grid resistor to a tap on the cathode resistor so that the grid is a volt or so negative relative to the cathode.
[/quote]

It seems that you are talking about cathode follower. It is completely different ball-game, with its own sonic signature, and pros and cons.

This may not be the best way to do things but it works and people like the recorded results. The final and most important test. As a side note, I?ve had clients choose an AKG Solidtube over a U87, had them laugh in my face when listening to one of my hand built babies and even had someone insist on a Turner Dynamic Model 99 for a mono overhead
Sorry I did not want to come across as a sonic snob, and I´ve also done things like removing a U87 from the micstand replacing it with a chineese cheapo mic, replacing 414:s to use SM57:s for overhead and stuff like that, but I still think that a lot of the Chineese/Koreean LD mics sound better than the SolidTube, and when counting in the price difference...
My test may not have been scientific ones, but instead I´ve used the mics in studiosetups, recording various instruments including drum OH, horns, vocals, and different stringed instruments.

[quote author="Gus"] The capsule of the solid tube is some weird design looks like half of a CK12 plastic model, and the electronics are some thing I would never build.

Some cheap china built microphones sound better than the ST.
[/quote]

The SolidTube uses an electrect capsule, powered on 9V..:
http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/AKG_SolidTube_Schematic.gif

This mic is an example of the "great old" microphone manufacturer's effort to join in on the prosumer market, without harming the sales of their "professional" products.

The only way to do this is to do product development in order to come up with a design that is clearly inferior to their classic products.

I'm absolutely sure that the SolidTube is much more expensive in manufacturing than e.g. a "real" microphone like the 414 - but it is a necessary product to keep up the value of the "real" mics..

Makes me kinda sad..

Jakob E.

I haven't used the newer, 12AX7-equipped Manley mics, but I used to own a 6072-equipped Reference Cardioid, and have also used the 6072-version Gold as well. Both are wonderful, though the Cardioid uses a Chinese kk67/87 knock-off (also used in the Langevin CR-3A, and I'm guessing the newer Langevin mic as well) while the Gold has the 3-micron film Josephson capsule in it.

I few years ago I spoke with David Josephson about this capsule, and he said it was sort of his own version of an AKG CK12. He didn't say much more about it other than it was challenging to make, but the results were well worth it.

The Gold is a fabulous mic.... very reminiscent of a C12 with the great shimmer and huge bottom, but a little more silk and less harsh, in my opinion (I've only heard one vintage C12, however, so perhaps I don't really know enough to make such a bold statement....) The Gold is not quite as focused-sounding as the RefCard, but also not in such need of a de-esser either! (gotta love the Chinese!!) :wink:

I'd love to know how the 12AX7 circuit changes the tone.

Peace,

JC

Latest posts

Back