If you guys are just buying front panels...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never buy just the front panel for anything. There are too many manufacturers with varying sizes standards on how to attach the panel. The only way to guarantee they will fit together is to always get complete cases with panels, or at least use the same manufacturer for everything. For us Europeans I think modushop is the best choice.

Just saying that don't expect to be able fit a par metal front panel to a modushop case or the reverse.

does anyone else has problems with the back panel of slim line by modushop?
It bends!!!  ::)

I've boughten them without the case mounting holes and drilled them myself using a extra front. I've also had FPE cut me a front to match the Par-Metal holes...

If it's made for one case and set for another well it's a straight crapshoot.

Check out http://www.modushop.biz
I've also seen these cases in some other shops, so you might find them somewhere in the UK as well. (Forgotten where tough)
They come with a aluminum front panel but you can use this for your prototype.

warpie said:
does anyone else has problems with the back panel of slim line by modushop?
It bends!!!  ::)

Yes. I've added extra brackets in the middle.

Never used the slim lines so can't say about bending. No other complaints about modushop except the case top and bottom lid screws they give are always the wrong size. Not a big deal.

Hank Dussen said:
They come with a aluminum front panel but you can use this for your prototype.

I have always had my proper front panels cut/drilled/engraved from these modushop 4mm aluminum templates. I just send them to the CNC guy with a CAD image of the final product, and out comes a finished panel.

Also, modushop gives autocad format CAD data for all their panels (all sides). This makes it really easy to design case interiors, how much room to leave for attachments, and what fits the front panels etc.

Kingston said:
I have always had my proper front panels cut/drilled/engraved from these modushop 4mm aluminum templates. I just send them to the CNC guy with a CAD image of the final product, and out comes a finished panel.
The only problem with using these panels is that I think they're a little rough. (at least much rougher then Franks engraved panels)
This is no so much a problem with the unfinished ones, which you can sand before sending them of for engraving, but the black ones you can't sand.

Rough? It's called brushed aluminum. That's what the finish is supposed to look like. I really like it. Sanding it clean never even crossed my mind.

You can see both the black and plain one used here:

MILA-no-handles.jpg

I don't think it would look as good with plain (not brushed) aluminum finish, or plain black anodised.

I have had some of these panels powder coated with excellent results as well and the brush strokes never bleed through. For thinner paint brush work I would of course sand them shiny first.

andre tchmil said:
Does anyone knows why the back panel of the "pesante" line can't be drilled ?

http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat071_l2.php?n=1

You mean not aluminium? Or to hard to drill?

I actually made Aluminium panels to sit on top on latest build (made by Franck@NRG), wanted to have a clean panel at the back as well, so cutted a hole for IEC and XLR's for example, i was using the 2U cheap model of Modushop, same steel Powder coated back panel as your link.

I have many 2U and 3U pesante cases and some I have drilled with a stepped drill, the others have been cnc'd with laser. both work well :)

Everything but the front is steel. It's a little bit harder but of course can be drilled.
They're probably just saying THEY won't drill or engrave the back because it doesn't fit their CNC machine.

baadc0de said:
I have many 2U and 3U pesante cases and some I have drilled with a stepped drill, the others have been cnc'd with laser. both work well :)

dunno then why on the case link it says "It is NOT possible to drill or engrave on the rear panel of this series"

Hank Dussen said:
Everything but the front is steel. It's a little bit harder but of course can be drilled.
They're probably just saying THEY won't drill or engrave the back because it doesn't fit their CNC machine.

aha , that could be the answer

Does anyone know where I can buy a fairly shallow 2U rack enclosure?  I was going to buy the Modushop slimline 170mm enclosure, but it appears from replies earlier in the thread, that the back panel is fairly thin.  I'm planning on mounting a fairly hefty Hammond power transformer on the back and need something that can take the load.

I've found a few places that sell 2U enclosures, but they're fairly deep.  I want it fairly shallow so I can mount transformers/ tubes etc on the back panel.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back