For those left behind: Support thread for Purusha cases

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicwarrior

I'd like to start a support thread for cases from the banned member Purusha as he is not very supportive per mail.

I guess there are several people here who bought cases from him. I'm currently trying to finish some of the projects for which I bought cases from but have a hard time finding suitable power switches which are meant for mains switching (isolation, current, voltage).

These are the cases I got (yeah, I have been blinded by the relatively cheap price) and my notes about the power switches:
- Dual Sontec: Diameter ca. 6,3 mm; Toggle switch
- Dual Pultec EQP1A: Diameter: ca. 5 mm; Toggle switch
- Dual Pultec MEQ5: Diameter: ca. 6 mm; Toggle switch
- Dual 1176: Diameter: ca. 9 mm; Rotary switch
- Solo 1176: Diameter: ca. 7 mm; Rotary switch (for this the Lorlin RMS1016 should work, maybe they fit in the bigger Dual 1176 holes, too)
- GSSL: Diameter: ca. 8 mm (I guess the bigger whole is for the switch and the smaller for the LED); Toggle switch
- Dual MicPre: Diameter: ca. 7 mm; Toggle switch
- Nite EQ: Diameter: ca. 6 mm; Toggle switch

I hope someone can help. I have spent the last few days sourcing parts and I'm afraid I don't see the wood for the trees anymore.  :-[

idylldon said:
Drill the holes out or bush them to accommodate the switches you want to use? 

The ones I want to use are rocker switches which need a rectangular cut out which I cannot do and which are mostly too big for the front panels anyway.
Even the toggle switches I like for mains are too big in most cases (Marquardt 1821.1101).

desol said:
Do you have a caliper and do you make use of datasheets?

I don't have a caliper and there are tons of datasheets out there, but I have read several. By reading them I found several switches that match the holes but are not sufficient for mains switching.

I have some mini toggle switches here that appear to be made by E-Switch and they are rated at 10A/125VAC and 6A/250VAC and they require a 5.6mm mounting hole.  The only number on them is 55TD.  Perhaps you can find a supplier that carries them in Europe.

Cheers,
--
Don

Confessions:
- I have a D1176 tat-case... I wish it were deeper.
- I'm already several "other-projects" deep at the moment and just dove headfirst into a couple of PMEQP1a's (well... four channels)...
- And pier's I/O driver boards... Guess I'll eventually need some GAR opamp kits for those..
- I dream of complex signal flow in circuits I am working on and solve complex problems with those projects in my sleep (well, at least I review the problems in my sleep).
- Can't wait to get into my piece of pye... I mean it's only $45 to get involved right?... How much more could it be to finish? Plus, I get to spin about 16 turns of wire around a doughnut and say I made that thing!
- And the P*R*R-1*7*6-V*a*r*i*-*M*u* :)
- Not to mention a couple altec mixer cases I have slated for original stereo-prr-vari-mu's anyway...
- Oh... And the microphones... Ohhhh the microphones...
- FET's look almost like tubes... But you don't need a separate case for a PSU... OR a special cable and connectors... Plus I've already got a couple cheap ones that I don't mind donating.... (Or I could get some)...
- And the plate reverb... Small'ish mind you... Maybe 2'x3'...

I can't tell you how cathartic it is to read that. Just last night I took an electrons-eye-view through the wiring of my current preamp project while my girlfriend slept soundly by my side. The back burner? Oh how it haunts and entices and at the same time expands itself.

idylldon said:
they are rated at 10A/125VAC and 6A/250VAC

Is that all that is required for mains switching? I read a comment at the Lorlin page that the normal rotary switches shall not be used for mains switching because of the insufficient insulation:

CK
A high quality multi-pole switch suitable for low power applications. Although capable of handling mains voltage, the CK switch is not designed as a mains isolating switch.

They are rated 5A, 300V (max).

The text for the mains suitable switch is:
RMS
A double pole mains switch providing mains isolation (>3mm gap) in the off position. The switch is rated at 4A 250VAC. VDE ENEC approved.

Source: http://www.lorlin.co.uk/products.php

I have a stereo nite eq 3D that I built in one of tats cases a little while back. I used a very normal, unexciting toggle switch rated 5 or 10 amps at 250V, probably Alpha. I bet it was less than 2 bucks. It works just great. No problems at all. Just my 2 cents...

Latest posts

Back