500-series compatible JLM Opto-Compressor (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holger

GDIY Supporter
Just to share it here (already posted in Frank's German forum):
A JLM Audio MAC in combination with a JLM Dingo and Volker's little connector PCB.

The (very useful) opto compressor is connected via the Dingo. For the de-balancing part I used a DOA, the balancing part is done with the good old 5532.
The front panel is powder coated, it's absolutely clear that I used a way too small font here. In the future I'll use no fonts smaller than 2mm.
Joe has a new IN5X PCB for this kind of projects, it allows to use a DOA to drive an output transformer.

http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=128

mac500front.jpg

seite.jpg

innen.jpg

detail.jpg

06/18: Edited title

I think the font may have been good, if the infill was black instead?

Nice unit tho..

I put a JLM MAC opto into a channel strip rack job I was doing.

Used as a sidechain with the opto resistance shunting the channel fader.
Has some interesting quirks when used this way.

Neotek Series 3 with added FET DI and a bunch of transformer inputs and outputs.

Have to say I've been very nicely surprised by the MAC - really great compression.

A really nice compressor, you might say!

Holger, looks great! I get the feeling I can build one, too  :) and when I saw on Joe's site he will come up with the metalwork, too - joy, joy, joy! As Ren & Stimpy put it.

michal_k, the meter is a Sifam AL 15 Retro, one of the last meters that fit into 1 RU projects. Available at Canford.
The compressor is, like most opto compressors, very useful on vocals etc. I recently used it for voice over recordings, it simply keeps
the level into range, unobtrusive and smooth. Can be a beast also at extremer settings.
This is my third MAC channel, I've built a dual 19" version years ago.
Please look at Joe's forum, start from here:
http://www.jlmaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63#p602

Some questions came up regarding front panels/powder coating etc. Since I've tried a couple of methods for front panel manufacturing I would like to share my experiences and start a new thread about front panel related stuff like powder coating vs. anodized vs. painted panels etc.

That's really nice. I was looking at the comp recently, it seems like a neat little solution. Nice that it fits in 500 as well.

I'm curious to see that metal thread, I'm getting close to finishing up the 500 series pultec project and this the one place I've had the most issues. Looking forward to seeing your experiences..

cheers!

Your front panels look fantastic!

The MM500 is to measure the output level and compression of other devices? If so, that is very handy to have as a seperate device.

Andrew

Back