Anybody know the color coding for a quad eight 3440 xformer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get the pinouts yet?
This is all I could find. Might be the same.
If it is, ohm out the windings and pair up the two that hopefully are identical. These would be your two output windings.
The lone pair your input. Next, hook a capacitance meter, if you have one, to the core and one of the primary windings. Look for the lowest capacitance. Hopefull, there will be a difference. The low reading should correspond to your cold, or "earthy" lead. The other one the hot lead.
Now all you have to do is put it on a scope and match up your phases.
Hope this helps.

quad8_opt.jpg

Thanks, I'll try out your suggestions tommorrow. I have it working now through trial and error.. Now I am using 3 leads and the can and getting the expected 1:8 ration output. There are 7 leads total and the can itself.

This schem (which does not indicate what color lead is what )below seems to indicate that there are 6 connections on the input and 2 on the output. The xformer I have has 4 leads coming out one hole and 3 out the other. I assume that one set is for input one for output, but I don't know. Also I have a 3440, this schematic is for a 3440A, I have talked to a few people but am unable to find what the dif might be. Apparently I slept through xformer lectures at school, I need to get reading.

Thanks

3440Closeup.JPG

Brian

I had a sneaking suspecion you might be talikng input and me output.
Oh well, sounds like you got it working. One of those leads might be an e shield, which would be diferent than the core wire. Looks like they might have not brought out the center taps.

The 3440A has two primary impedences. 150 and 600 I believe. I'm awaiting the arrival of the group buy transformers. If they come with any documentation, I'll post it.

I would say they have more input impedances options. like 50, 150, 250, 333, 470, 600... It has two windings with center taps on each one. Transformers like this can be wired many ways...

What is the resistor value to the right of the R/C pair on the secondary of the 3440A? It is cut off in the schematic. I think it may be 360k going off other Q8 schematics Ive seen? Ive been curious what the secondary network is. It is a very high ratio, like 1:18 so 360k wouldn't be unreasonably high.

Helsing

Latest posts

Back