Fostex 4030 tape-synchroniser and add-ons

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helterbelter

Hi guys,

I just purchased a Fostex E8 multitrackmachine, with a 4030 synchroniser and a 4010 TC generator/reader and 4011 unit. About 10 years back I already had a set of Tascams with a 4030 and a 4035 controller, that worked pretty neat. I also synced Cubase to it.

This time,  I don't have the 4035 controller, or a dedicated E8 controller. I'm hoping I'm able to control the 4030 with MMC, via some kind of adapter. I have been searching on the net for info, but I couldn't find anything satisfying yet. I did found a 4020 Events Controller for sale, that has been built for the 4030 synchroniser and Fostex taperecorders, but there's no info available about this 4020. It has midi in/thru/out, so, I'm hoping this is suitable as a MMC interface for the 4030.

Since there are so many gurus here, I'm wondering if there's anybody that knows what the 4020 is for ?

No one ?
Well, today the ebayseller sent me a PDF of the manual of the 4020. I thought the 4020 would be connected to the 4030 synchronised but this isn't the case. It's connected  and synced to the recorder, and can control the transportfunctions. (for instance for punch in and outs). It doesn't control the speed though, or puts in TC to go to.

So, I already figured out MMC isn't supported with the 4020, but the manual doesn't say anything at all, about what can be done with the featured midi input !! My first guess was MTC, but according the manual the 4020 syncs via smpte or LTC. Not a word about MTC. (which isn't relevant for me anyway, I have a seperate smpte-MTC converter).

I'm hoping the unit is usable to read midinotes or sysex , and convert that to several commands  for transport functions. I've read a post on the internet (dated 1997) of a guy that recommends a 4020 for use as a midi control for a cd player. But can someone confirm that this is possible ?

Back