JJ 6386 LGP All related - all you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val_r

Hey folks!
Just got a pair of these 6386 LPG or LGP, and thought would share some experience.
They come in a nice packaging, with connection diagram, S/N, and plate current vs grid voltage readings on 8 points.
I have bought the tube set from Tube-Town in Germany, shipping to Italy was only 11 euro and arrived super-fast (just a couple of days!).

Check the pics:

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

03.jpg

The curves  ???

a1_i.jpg

a1_ii.jpg

a2_i.jpg

a2_ii.jpg

S/N are different, but internally they match almost perfectly, and it's a good matched pair.
Indeed it was only by chance, since I couldn't find any store selling these tubes already in matched pairs or quartet.
:'(

I put some nice 6ba6 from General Electric in triode mode for comparison.
A2.jpg

.... update with the Russian 6K4P:
1_A00.jpg

... and obviously the real deal for reference (if you're lucky enough to find some)
GL-6386_curves.jpg

Enjoy!

Thanks, I know I posted a request for a review here long ago, and no one has ever commented on these tubes.  Give us more when you have it!

The funny thing about these tubes is that the box and tube have different naming! It's been the same since the beginning, but one says LGP, whilst the other says LPG ;)

I don't think that the lifespan of them is that enormous, so by using a slightly lower heater voltage (about 5.9 rather than 6.3v) will help this. I believe they're getting more consistent, but even when using pairs of tubes, you still have to do some swapping around to get the best matching. Obviously you have the curves to help you match up initially.

Latest posts

Back