Styroflex caps for G7????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts Connexion and Michael Percy Audio both carry Polystyrene caps in values needed for the G7. And there's usually several people selling bulk on eBay as well.

Daniel

I think the general consensus is that polystyrene sounds like crap... Try some other film, it will work.

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]I think the general consensus is that polystyrene sounds like crap... [/quote]

There's definitely NOT general consensus about that..!

To me, the styroflex'es are by far the most neutral cap - and the one that behaves best at extreme impedances like condenser mic amplifier inputs..

But yes, you could try using polyester caps here - just don't expect the same predictable results..

Jakob E.

Polystyrene is generally considered to be one of the best dialectric materials...second only to teflon in terms of dialectric absobtion. It's tough to solder though, as it doesn't like heat, so you need to be quick with your iron.

I'm not sure about how polystyrene reacts at high impedances like right at the capsule section of a mic though. I thought that mica was a pretty common choice there...but is a worse dialectric overall than polystyrene.

Cheers,

Kris

FWIW I've seen polystyrene caps used in critical places in several older condensor/tube mics - including Neumanns.

Ha! Shows you how much I know about caps! I actually have a stack of polysty's that I've used for timing circuits (VCOs mostly) but I never use them in other gear thinking they sound bad. And I don't even know where I got that idea from! :?

You gotta question everything, I guess...

Peace,
Al.

It's one of the many hifi myths - styroflex = bad. Whether there's some truth in it in some circumstances or not I don't know...

But I use them also, if that's the type of cap I find in the drawer.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

thanks for the post..
I also had the same question about those caps..
happy new year everybody..

polystyrene caps are supposed to be one of the best but it's strange how they sound good in one application but not another..

Bought some polystyrene as well - from RS for one of the small-valued caps in the 1176. Just too bad they're fairly expensive and aren't available in single quantities.

Those polystyrenes at Mouser only go to 50v for the .01uf (10nf) /160v cap in the G7. This is the next project in my sights...

:guinness:

Those polystyrenes at Mouser only go to 50v for the .01uf (10nf) /160v cap in the G7.

:? right, voltage rating an additional concern for the G7.
But wait, you need not more than 160Vdc (40Vac) ?

--> 10 nF RS-#: 113-409

FWIW, the ones I got from RS for the G1176 were the 220pF ones,
but no HT-issues there.

Peter

As posted before in this thread. The older neumanns I have been inside have had polystryenes in pf vaues.

I only have a few 160Vs left.

Polypros should/might be a good replacement. I have not tried polypros in the small sizes.

IMO one of the most important caps in some microphones is the capsule to grid/gate that one often has 30V to 60V across it. Thats why I alway try to direct couple the capsule to grid.

So what do you guys think is the best cap in the position directly at the capsule (usually about 1000 pf). Styroflex, polyprop, polyester, or perhaps NPO ceramics?

Back