Styroflex caps for G7????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Jakob, thanks, that's exacty what I wanted to know.

Is styroflex significantly better than polyprop. I have a SD with a multilayer ceramic that I wanted to upgrade, and I already got a polyprop 1000 pf that fits. Unfortunately local stores don't carry styroflex. So I would have to order those. Would the difference be worth the wait?

The parts are cheap.

Do the test yourself. If you don't want to read the metas lots of cap info in them.

I say that because sometimes the best way to learn something is to do the test without "knowing" what the out come will be.

Maybe it will turn out like you read.

[quote author="Gus"]The parts are cheap.

Do the test yourself. If you don't want to read the metas lots of cap info in them.

I say that because sometimes the best way to learn something is to do the test without "knowing" what the out come will be.

Maybe it will turn out like you read.[/quote]

I agree absolutely. But the problem is that the mic pcb is pretty delicate and won't take repeated soldering. Apart from that I don't have styroflex caps available right now.

Looks like I'm gonna be using polyprop cap as I can't source the correct styroflex caps. I hope this doesn't hurt the sound to much. Are elna cerafines good for the electro cap?

G7 calls for 1nF and 10nF polystyrene, IIRC. PartsConnexion has 1000pF and 10000pF polystyrenes. Michael Percy Audio also has .001uF and .01uF polystyrenes.

Daniel

Hi there,

I'm building a G7 and I'm worried about the caps choice I've made... I used for the 2u2 this Cornell Dublier CDE DME 2,2uF 100V (Metalized Polyester) and for the 1uF used a WIMA MKP4 1,0uF 250V (Polypropylene)... the BOM ask for a WIMA Mixed Film... I don't know if I made a good choice, did I? any other good choices? I thougth put some Malory but... don't really know... the 0.1uF and 0.01uF I used Styroflex caps... sounds neutral... ok :wink:

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:

You can also get them here (hopefully these links are allowed here - they are not mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310057794178&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230181638986&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

I think it's best to use polystyrene here. There's a reason Jakob chose them.

Hi

I'm in much the same boat as Samplegod except I haven't sourced the resitors (except the 100M and the 33M from the groupbuy) or the capacitors for a G7 build.

I have seen BOM's that suggest Wima MKM4 for the .1, 1.0 and 2.2 and a suggestion from this forum to use Wima MKS4 and that a MKS4-LN(low noise) is also available. Also the polystyrene can be sourced from .... or .... or even ebay. I have done quite a bit of reading on this forum and I guess I am back at the starting point.

So what I am seeking help on is the caps that other people have used and are happy with or not happy with eg Wima M.... or something altogether different and the particular polystyrene brands used and happy with.

Also, is the choice of metal film resistors an issue or any standard stock sufficient?

In the overall scheme of the G7 build the cost of these components is relatively small and therefore paying a bit more for "better" components makes sense.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

GP

Hello there!

I changed my capacitors that I list above! Instead of the WIMA and de Counell Dublier, I buyed Mundorff M-Caps, and Styroflexes for the .01 and .001 caps! all in the same location Banzai Effects...
There's some people in DIY's forums that really hates the WIMA caps, saying that they sound muddy with a rolloff on the high end... don't know about that... but everyone is for the Propylene caps for audio! the problem is that they are really big, and don't fit anywhere!
I finished my Night Eq, and fit WIMA's WKP4 1,0uF that are 22,5mm lead space into 10mm... well... it was tought... but I think it will worth! all propylene!

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie :thumb:

Latest posts

Back