Should i turn my Apex 460 into a G7??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Just wondering if i should turn my apex 460 into a G7.
Since i have a EF86 and transformer...

What are your thoughts??
Thanks.

abechap024 said:
No!

You will VOID the WARRANTY!

lmao.

I thought that's what 460s were for? I say do it. But that's just me. And btw, one ef86 may not be enough, since it could be noisy or microphonic in a tube mic application. Get as many as you can afford, then sell the ones you don't use. You may loose some money on them, but you'll have a nice quiet mic.

No!

You will VOID the WARRANTY!

Voided long ago Abe...tube changed...Cinemag iron in!  ;)

Gemini i got a local supplier for EF86's and can have it changed it!

It doesnt look that much difficult to change, comparing schem to schem!!

Thanks.

I've seen a pdf floating around to turn it into a c12? I don't know how it would compare with the G7 though.

I remember reading somewhere that people thought their were some fundamental problems with the G7 circuit. But probably personal opinion cause gyraf knows his stuff!

Do it! Void That Warranty! ;)

Actually i had built a Royer tube mod into an Studio Projects B1.
LEt me tell you it sounds freaking nice...i even compared it to an U87 fet but sounds in the same ball park..

Royer is Def on my list.

has been for a while :)

My personal Fav cause its so ridiculously simple and sweet sounding is the C37a circuit.

The G7 PC board (if you use one) is a bitch to fit in the 460 :mad:... believe me, I did it, but it wasn't worth the extra metal work. The 460 housing diameter is just too small to do it easily.  I ended up doing a Rube Goldberg monstrosity with the tube sticking out the side like ala Sony C800.

There are much better donors out there for less cash.

The G7 PC board (if you use one) is a bitch to fit in the 460 :mad:... believe me, I did it, but it wasn't worth the extra metal work. The 460 housing diameter is just too small to do it easily.  I ended up doing a Rube Goldberg monstrosity with the tube sticking out the side like ala Sony C800.

There are much better donors out there for less cash.

I will redesign a board for that purpose or will go ptp.
Yeah i know there are less expensive but its all i have and it doesnt sound too good even after tube, transformers and caps mods.

I have read that removing the cathode follower makes a big difference on the sound of the 460. Of course, changing the capsule to something nicer will make the biggest difference. Dave Thomas at Advanced audio has a 460 replacement headbasket and body tube. Not sure if the headbaskets are "better" or not.

Anyway, I say do it! Just because. You have to feed the DIY monster

You can rework the stock circuit with the stock capsule and transformer.

Think about it.  It is not about just about changing caps.

3nity,

if you haven't built a G7 I would highly recommend to do so.
As many suggested already, it is not neccessary to do this on an Apex460.
For this I would rather go the route Gus suggested.

Attached are some pictures of my G7 which was built out of a Studio Projects C1.
There is not much space in it and I had to design a new PCB and replace the inner rails by some handmade ones.
As Jakob suggested you should definitely go for a good capsule (Tim Campbell, Neumann, Thiersch, etc.)
Mine is built with a Neumann K87 capsule, a Lundahl 1576 (1+1:7) and - against the recommendations -  FB Network installed. The result is a U67-like G7.

normal_g7_open_web.jpg

normal_G7_Parts_B.JPG

normal_g7_parts_web.jpg

normal_g7_c1_body_web.jpg

normal_g7_ps_web~0.jpg

normal_g7_tubemount_web.jpg

...just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Chris

Latest posts

Back