Singles like MAT02/MAT12 ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recnsci

Hi people, is there any transistor in single/nonmatched package (and lower price of course) that is similar in performance to MAT02/12 or MAT04/14 ?

Further more, what are best parts for these application demands:
1) noise performance comparable to MAT parts at 10uA to 100uA Ic range?
2) high hfe linearity in 100uA to 10mA range?

best regards
urosh

I am not sure how they match them but I have been down that road before when the mat02 was discontinued and I needed some for our SSL 4K board. the Mat12 was a drop in replacement. Best to go that route as they match them perfectly.

Hi Pucho,
I wasn't clear enough, I don't need matching or dual transistors at all. Beside matching MAT devices have other very desirable properties. It has very very low noise down to 10uA range, low leakage, and high beta linearity. So I'm curious are there single transistors out there with similar properties but lower priced.

Best Regards
Urosh

PRR said:
Thank you very much! If I figured out corectly, only issue seems to be a bit higher 1/f noise, otherwise super nice.

I've only found some obscure Toshiba stuff (is Tosh' making any of their high performace small signal stuff any more?)

Best Regards
Urosh

Kingston said:
Toshiba 2SC3329. Obscure, yes, but futurlec.com still has them cheap.
Unfortunately, it seems Toshiba doesn't make them any more, same as 2SC2240, so it's up to remaining stocks. And I would really need something like SOT23 package.
That 2N5089 looks a lot like MPSA18, allmost same specs, and with definitive edge over garden variety low noise stuff like BC550 in some applications.

At low currents you want a transistor with high hFE and low 1/f corner for low noise; rbb' is usually negligible.

2N5089 and MPSA18 both have rather high 1/f corners. BC550C is, according to my measurements, somewhat better here. 2SA970BL can have very low 1/f corners, and still pretty high hFE.

Depending on the application, I'd also consider large-geometry JFETs such as BF862.

Samuel

Samuel Groner said:
2N5089 and MPSA18 both have rather high 1/f corners. BC550C is, according to my measurements, somewhat better here.
Depending on the application, I'd also consider large-geometry JFETs such as BF862.
Thanks for the info. All BC550 data sheets I've seen are rather slim on noise data. So in your findings, is BC550 just better than 2N5089/MPSA18 in 1/f department or overall noise characteristics? BTW, same thing 'bout BF862, datasheet only mentions en at 100K, no other data et all. So, how does BF862 perform compared to SK170 on one side and BF245 on other?

Best Regards
Urosh

So in your findings, is BC550 just better than 2N5089/MPSA18 in 1/f department or overall noise characteristics?

Upon re-checking my measurement data it looks like the MPSA18 and BC550 1/f corners are actually about the same; I remembered the figures wrong. Can't comment on anything besides this.

So, how does BF862 perform compared to 2SK170 on one side and BF245 on other?

BF862 has about the same, or even slightly better, wide band and low-frequency voltage noise than the 2SK170 at a given medium drain current. But at 1/3 the capacitance! I have not yet seen any noise data for the BF245.

Samuel

Samuel Groner said:
So in your findings, is BC550 just better than 2N5089/MPSA18 in 1/f department or overall noise characteristics?

Upon re-checking my measurement data it looks like the MPSA18 and BC550 1/f corners are actually about the same; I remembered the figures wrong. Can't comment on anything besides this.

So, how does BF862 perform compared to 2SK170 on one side and BF245 on other?

BF862 has about the same, or even slightly better, wide band and low-frequency voltage noise than the 2SK170 at a given medium drain current. But at 1/3 the capacitance! I have not yet seen any noise data for the BF245.

Samuel

2 that haven't been mentioned are jfet - 2sk369 which are still available and have less noise than the 170,
the other, less well known for low noise per is the common old BC337 bjt see noise specs here

http://www.janascard.cz/PDF/Ultra%20low%20noise%20amplifiers.pdf

cheers

Terry

Latest posts

Back