reasonable rate to charge friends for service ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

people I know would rather someone they trust do it  and expect to pay
knowing they're not getting ripped off & especially if they can get a receipt
Some easy others get lucky for problems , I'm thinking 1/2hr min ?
what's the going rate these days ?

Maybe i should start a poll ? tia & regards Greg

If they are good friends, I'll do it for a decent bottle of wine. Other wise, yes, 1/2 min charge even if it only takes 10 mins.

For me it depends on the friend, service, deadline, budget, expected versus actual time, risk/reward, opportunity, and things like that.

I like to think of the people I work with as friends and as an equitable exchange as protection of that friendship from both sides.

Start bringing money, expectations, dreams, and friends together and I think extreme care should be taken transparency practiced.

Maybe a rate of 1/2 normal and they give you a rate of 1/2 normal for an equal amount of time doing what they do.

If we're talking ten minutes or 1/2 HR then it's not really that big of a deal in the big picture. Charge full rate with maybe 10% discount for automatic negotiation. That rate usually sticks for repeat business though.

If it's a project's worth of work then it's time to talk a little deeper with transparency as far as expectations, deliverables, etc...

My $0.02

-jb

pucho812 said:
No matter how good  of friends you are when your pay is banana's, people treat you like a monkey.

unfortunately i couldn't agree more, but if it's really good friends i guess a bottle of wine, or a dinner is more appropriate.
But isn't there a phrase that says: "Don't let money squabbles ruin a friendship", i'll charge a 200 bucks then, good guys are rare these days ;D....

One of the troubles being , I could easily become too busy just doing stuff for friends
for sure , if they're not in a hurry , i fit it in when i can , then it takes up space , cases open
waiting for parts . or busy with nothing to show for it .

What are " standard " or average service rates these days ?

I work lots for friends and acquaintances - it's a small town, and loads of my mates are musicians, so it's unavoidable.

I tell my friends my 'normal' rate, then knock off a chunk as 'mate's rates' - maybe 20% off, or there abouts.

What goes around comes around, and if they have a trade, I expect the same in return, so I now get good prices for plumbing, and discounts at a couple of shops.

If it's a close friend and a very small job, I'll do it for fun, or beer, or just cost the parts.

And if a close friend forgets to pay, I try to remember that friends are more important than money.

pucho812 said:
No matter how good  of friends you are when your pay is banana's, people treat you like a monkey.

Wise words.  And I'll add to that  - your own motivation level will often follow the pay scale.

And it's probably also worth saying that big organisations are FAR worse at paying up than friends and other real people.  :eek:

zebra50 said:
And it's probably also worth saying that big organisations are FAR worse at paying up than friends and other real people.  :eek:

Thats why they are big........they hold on to your hard earned cash until the last second to earn penny pinching interest
:mad:

Different case when you owe them !

And I'll add to that  - your own motivation level will often follow the pay scale.
sure , if it's easy or obvious whip it out of the way quick , but the tough ones can get a little resentful

And if a close friend forgets to pay, I try to remember that friends are more important than money.

Even wiser words...

If they're real friends they will also have some understanding that you have a life as well , and business
for the most part people have been good , and want to pay , I just have to come up with a fair figure .

I have an auto mechanic i go to , good guy , busy and hard to get a hold of, But he talks me out of work, just as often
as he recommends it . I trust him and never question how much he charges because I don't want to lose this connection
that i appreciate ,

Latest posts

Back