need some advice for multi pin connectors ,Live rig / PA scene

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

I'm fairly new to the whole live PA, recording scene but I'm playing with the idea to build a mobile setup for recording with 3 flightcases.
1 base station with convertors, patch, computer and 2 other racks for pre's, compressors etc.
What would you advice to use as linking connectors between the 2 racks and the base ? Something reliable and not too expensive. Don't think it will be plugged / unplugged each night.
thanks

If it's only you who will be handling the connections then EDAC's are a good choice. The pins are not as robust as the circular connectors but they are less expensive. Not cheap though. The weak point is having the pins bent by a meat head when mating and unmating. Once they are locked in place they are very robust and reliable.

I can get a box full of these
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Siemens-Federleiste-39-polig-Tuchel-/170661809312?pt=Filmnachbearbeitung&hash=item27bc3c8ca0#ht_3864wt_1141

Brand new , chassis mount males , connector and metal jacket females.
they look sturdy .
what do you think ?

Hello André,
Why not use Harting connectors, like that : http://www.cm2-cablage.fr/produits-74-82.htm (for example, could be find at any audio pro reseller, as Harting make standard connectors for live applications) ?
Hope this can help you .
All the best.
Eric

Harting look OK.
The Siemens Federleiste looks similar.
Plenty of space for the soldering contacts and a clear layout.

Wonder if someone has "field" experience with them.

Check the manufacture's spec on insertion cycle rating. For example, ELCO / EDAC are rated for 100 cycles, DL are rated for 100,000 cycles. You can see that you do NOT want to use an ELCO where it is being repeatedly plugged and un-plugged. Same goes for D-Sub.
The MASS connectors have become the standard, but even they have different sizes, are very expensive, and have m/f & I/O orientation that is a PIA. For some reason Ramlatch are next in line, not a great connector.
I actually like the AMP circular plastic connectors, they are cheap & rugged and easy to work with.
Whatever you use, make XLR pigtails for them to interface with the unknown. No matter what you choose, someone will have something different, but almost everyone has XLR tails.

Amphenol/Socapex are robust, not as easy to solder/put together as Harting and Edac connectors IMO. they are quite popular in theatres in France. the siemens/Tuchel multi-pin connector looks good, i have a telefunken M15A 16track 2" machine equipped with these connectors but havn't had a chance to try out yet, so i can't report but they must be good! and you will need more then one connector for 32 balanced lines.

Maybe I try the Siemens connector. Like I said I can get at least 8 pairs,  there is plenty of space to solder and easy to click and plug in.

While we are at it: how does the mains connect ? Not on a simple IEC chassis connector I guess  :p

well your question is not very clear, what do you mean by how the mains connect?
while we are at it, it would be easier for us if your questions were formulated right in the first place, like mentioning the amount of lines you need, if they're balanced or unbalanced etc... in your first post for example.
i think my first answer is up to the caliber of your questions. and to answer this one: earth goes to chassis, live and neutral goes to the primary of your power transformer.

isophase said:
well your question is not very clear, what do you mean by how the mains connect?
while we are at it, it would be easier for us if your questions were formulated right in the first place, like mentioning the amount of lines you need, if they're balanced or unbalanced etc... in your first post for example.
i think my first answer is up to the caliber of your questions. and to answer this one: earth goes to chassis, live and neutral goes to the primary of your power transformer.

I'm in a brainstorming mood but like to do my homework only once. ;D
So I park the multi connector question and evaluate all comments.

My question was how to supply the mains power, type of connector, etc

if your rig is intended for recording only then a normal electrical distribution using power strip will be fine and cheap. if there are power amps in one of your racks however, and depending on the system, you might want to use a professional power plug capable of 16 or 32 amps such as P17 type plugs http://www.avls.fr/prgphp/show_article.php?reference=665A07
it all comes down to what is the standard professional power plug in your location. P17 are common in france in theaters, tv-studios and live concert but this plug might be something else in Germany England or Italy for exemple.

Latest posts

Back