JBL 4410 bass response

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Hi guys,

I have my JBL 4410's hooked up to a big old TEAC SE-A3 amplifier. Balanced output from DA converter into Central Station balanced input.

Balanced output on Central Station wired to unbalanced -10 RCA amplifier input, tip to tip, no ring connection, shield to shield. Set DA converter to output -10dB level. (Switchable -10 / +4)

Bass output from the system seems weak.

Could this be a sort of impedance / loading issue? I was thinking of maybe de-balancing through a transformer...

The main outputs of the CS are active-balanced. This type of output stage requires its cold (out-of-phase) output point to be connected to the cold (out-of-phase) input point in the case of balanced input, or to the ground of the receiving end in case of unbalanced input.
That means you should ideally use a 2 conductor+shield cable with a TRS on one side and join the shield and cold conductor at the RCA plug.
This may or may not explain the apparent lack of bass, but at least the levels will be correct. EBOS (Electronically Balanced Output Stage) are generally not very consistent in terms of level-balance - that means the level on the hot point is very often different than the level on the cold point, and being loaded on one side and unloaded on the other doesn't help. EBOS are optimized for impedance-balance, which is the most important factor in rejection of interference.

Thanks Abby!

I tried it, still seems weak. Even from an iPod straight into the amp. Tested with another amp, same result. So I an thinking this could just be how these monitors are. I did refoam the surrounds a couple months ago, maybe they need to break in. 

I had some of these and the attenuators for the mid and high crossovers were intermittent.  You might look there.  I can't say if that is the problem you are having, but you might play around with them to adjust the tone a bit. 

Now we are getting somewhere.

The L-pads function perfectly on the speakers. I hooked my iPod up to the unbalanced input on the C.S. I level matched the same song coming out of my DA convertor, even timed them to within a second in time to compare.

The unbalanced input with the iPod has more bass, definitely punchier, phatter, etc.

The balanced input from the Lucid DA convertor sounds wider, less "center", much less full bass.

HOLY COW!!!

One of the two short XLR patch cables that was STORE BOUGHT had pins 2 and 3 swapped!!!

UNREAL!!!

Boy do I feel like a moron...

riggler said:
HOLY COW!!!

One of the two short XLR patch cables that was STORE BOUGHT had pins 2 and 3 swapped!!!

UNREAL!!!

Boy do I feel like a moron...

why? it was not your fault. I would agree if you made the cable but you didn't if anything I would have returned the cable for a new one.

Latest posts

Back