SSL 6000 2-buss compressor distortion when cold?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electroslut

Hi, I am working on a ssl-6000, a brown out took out the power supply a while ago and after I rebuilt it there was some severe distortion on one channel only one the a buss, I tracked it down to the vca compressor card in the 2 buss, but after the board
is on for a few hours the problem goes away? what would you check first the lm394's or the dbx 202c's?

electroslut said:
...what would you check first...?
Just some thoughts: I'd go for caps, contacts, pots, soldering, sockets (if there are any), any kind of abnormalities which are visible first. If all that is ruled out, it might make sense to check the lm394's or the dbx 202c's.

If I remember right the sidechain is mono for 2 channels, so it should distort the 2nd channel as well. If you're on a 6k then you should have 3 busses with identical hardware, maybe there's a smart way to swap cards around to see if the error remains or moves with the card. Just remember to original position of the cards, they might have been finetuned to that position.

Michael

turned out to be one of those crazy square 2.2uf caps, I hit it with the heat gun for a sec, problem gone, changed it out. all fixed.

Latest posts

Back