DIY Studio Furniture

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heybluez

Hey DIY'ers,

I want to build my own custom studio desk and I was wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, anyone have any plans I might be able to look at and modify? It will be geared for a DAW based system with 19" racks within easy reach built in for outboard gear. Also thinking of using one side for my Mac. Maybe with a glass door or something....

Let me know...

Thanks,
Michael

My desk was made by argosy. Its amazing. My carpenter friend said he could have built me one with free labor and saved $10. Buy one from them before they go out of buisness. :wink:
Peter
http://www.argosyconsole.com/d15/d15800lg.gif

Hi Michael!

I've build furniture for a couple of studios...and I'm at the moment finishing up my own new studio :grin: ...I will try to take some pictures soon.

I have one thought: You should consider installing your Mac outside your control room. I hate the noise from the computer and rack with glass/wood door simply isnt enough. It will be a bit more costly in longer cables for monitors etc. but its woth it.
USB cables have a maximum lenght of 5 meters but if you use cables with repeaters the will go up to 20 meters.

Hey there,

Thanks for the feedback. I can look at Argosys but I have this idea in my head of what I want....hehe....I will try to piece together a cost to purchase/build on my own and see what that comes in at.

In regards to putting my Mac in another room. This is for my one room in my Townhouse. I wish I had somewhere to put the PC but unfortunately it will have to be by the desk...hehe...maybe one day!

Thanks for the pics and the plans. I will try to piece something together from those and post what I come up with.

Hope all else is well and Happy New Year!
-Michael

i built one for less than 50$, I got 30$ sheet of 1" hard poplar, some 1" moulding, and about 16$ worth of 4' rebar sections(about 15). I welded together the frame from rebar(doubling the down braces) and cut/finished the wood with a couple days worth of sanding and gluing the moulding on the edge(no router :sad: ) then covering with a thickass layer of acrylic followed by more sanding. weighs practically nothing but is strong enough to hold 4 people ~600lbs (yes i tried it..). oh and i sandblasted the rebar and painted it black. it turned out very pretty and industrial looking. with the bar and wood left over i made a double rack for the gear too!

:thumb:

I built my own Studio desk. It honestly is the best desk I have worked with.

I found the plans online. Let me see if i can find them..

http://www.charm.net/~jriley/audstud.html

I owe the guy a photo. Maybe ill get it done next week adn you can see just how nice the desk looks. For about 150.00

Patina

I'm in the planning stages for a deck as well. Mine needs a section for a synth controller, mixer section, and lots of rack space for my DIY.

http://www.jefflaity.com/blogq95/?p=60

In about two years I'm going to set up a new, better mastering room and I'm going to build a nice desk also.

One VERY good looking solution I saw at Massive Masters page once. I think they now have a bought desk, but the DIY solution was to have a large, sturdy office table (a bit U-shaped) and at least two wooden racks open from front and rear.

The racks were cutted from the side with an angle, producing two identical, angled racks. Two square holes were cut to the office table and the racks mounted there. I couldn't tell the difference between DIY and manufactured. :thumb:

I'm working on one right now, just drafted up the plans and built a foam core model on friday. I was going to convert an empty console frame (from buttachunk actually) but decided to just rip the meters and patchbay and integrate them into a starwars enterprise desk. I wanted certain requirements, like enough space to fit 2 21" crt's (until I can afford a big enough lcd) and separate heights for the video and audio monitoring..... measured everything for my ears and sight-lines at my comfort level. back corners each with a 10u rack at 60 degrees up to monitor shelves, middle is side by side 4u racks at 60 degrees set back slightly (to keep the monitor image kosher and up front) going up to a 38.75 inch wide video monitor shelf, and then up front a horizontally flush patchbay on the right, 10u space horiz. flush rack on the left, and in the middle a cutout for a us-2400, spaced just right for a computer keyboard and mousepad.

40 inch pullout drawer for a 61 key controller.

Now my only concern is the bottom, the base, where I'm trying to figure out a good way to keep equipment and wiring hidden but accessible, and find a good place for this damn computer.

it's water cooled, so it stays quiet fan wise, but the hard drive chatter is awful.

completely insane actually.

I'll post some picks and let you know how it's going, I think I'm also making mine out of hard poplar plywood.

billy

Latest posts

Back