SSL or GSSL experts or Troubleshooting techs ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myker

HI guys, I have a completed (component wise) GSSL and cannot get the bugs worked out, I had a similar problem with an 1176 that I finished but could not get the final bugs out. The result was that I had to sell the 1176, and here I am again at the finish line and no compressor. I have not been lazy, I have checked all resistors and that the capacitor's were correctly oriented, and experimented for a very long time, but without a scope (or knowledge of how to use one) and years of experience in what to look for, this compressor might as well be a paperweight.

I imagine that there are many like me who would love to have someone calibrate and/or help us with the final 5% of our builds for a fee. Is there anyone like this?
It would be good to have someone who was experienced to help us with what we are doing wrong.

Even the most experienced of us can make mistakes.
I find its always best to proceed step-by-step.
So, having built the basic PCB, hook it up to the mains transformer WITHOUT any of the IC's in their sockets. Check all of the voltages i.e. with the negative test lead on 0v. check the op-amp socket pins  for +and- 15v.  Dual op-amps pin 8 for +15v, single op-amps pin 7 for +15v. Pin 4 for -15v.
Except in the case of the op amps in the control circuitry which should be at +and- 12v. Also the quad op-amp.
Check also the pins where the VCA chips go - always with ref. to the schematic of course.
Doing this is always a good move so you can make sure no damage will occur before you put the IC's in their sockets.
Having a scope is always useful because if you're not getting any signal you can probe about to see where it stops and that usually pinpoints the fault.

It's fairly optimistic to assume that when building something like a GSSL - hooking it all up and turning it on, it will work first time.
Who knows, you may get lucky, but I think the step-by-step approach is much better.
Also, investing in a bit of test gear is a wise move.

yes having some basic test gear, knowing how to follow a schematic and having a plan will make life easier. As suggested start by making sure the voltages are correct.

for basic test gear you can get a way with a tone generator(somthing that you can vari the level and  that can produce a 1K sine wave)
an osciloscope a magnifying glass, and a DMM.

The Most valuable of the lot to me is the magnifying glass as I use it  most often to make sure a repair is proper. ON some of those boards like the GSSL for example the traces are fairly close together and one can easily put to much solder and cause a shrt between traces.

In the case of the GSSL, this really should be said twice
ON ..... the GSSL for example the traces are fairly close together and one can easily put to much solder and cause a shrt between traces.

You really should post your specific problems/questions in the GSSL thread. People (especially a guy named Harpo) are pretty good at helping out.  If you get to the point where you are ready to give up, don't.  Just put it aside for a couple of days and then go back to it. 

But if you are at your wits end, and really just want to pay someone to help you finish, post a thread in the BM with your location, and someone will probably show up, and maybe even do it for free.  There are some decent people around here.

good luck

Hi guys, and thanks for the info!

I posted in GSSL help forum and went weeks without any acknowledgement, I have no compression in my rack and mixes going beyond their date of promise. I either have to sell an unfinished compressor and buy a commercial one, or get this rig on the road right now. I will gladly pay to get it going and hopefully learn to avoid this mistake in the future. I'm much too busy for DIY right now, but I also need a compressor ASAP. Tuff position.

Maybe this helps altho would be easier if u put your location in your profile info..

www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44172.0

:)

Also,

And this is a HUGE one...

What is it doing or not doing? What are the symptoms.... and don't you dare say "it just doesn't work"! ;-)

I am in Victorville, Ca.
I didn't post the symptoms on here because I didn't want this to become my own personal GSSL help thread, I just wanted to find someone who was an expert who had time to check it out for me (as well as maybe others in this position). I posted all the symptoms in the GSSL thread on the last page a few weeks ago if you want to know the symptoms. 
To everyone who sent me phone numbers and contact information, thank you very much! Much appreciated!
-mike

Im not too sure if it was true or i dreamed this one but i remember there was a page somewhere on how to get your faulty ssl working...
again the page was kinda support...like what to look if your unit does this or this or that...but again im not sure enough..

Anyone please?

Thanks

myker said:
I am in Victorville, Ca.
Nobody might remember this. Why don't you put this info in your ['Profile'], as repeatedly suggested?

I posted all the symptoms in the GSSL thread on the last page a few weeks ago if you want to know the symptoms.
a few weeks ago?. I already replied, and wild guessing the last 3 pages from the gssl thread should give you enough hints to fix it.
(this '3' is the same moving target as your 'last page', so this 'last 3 pages' will probably be wrong as well within the next couple of days, but your linked question was in the last of these 3 with standard 20 'messages to display per page' settings;))

myker said:
I am in Victorville, Ca.
I didn't post the symptoms on here because I didn't want this to become my own personal GSSL help thread, I just wanted to find someone who was an expert who had time to check it out for me (as well as maybe others in this position). I posted all the symptoms in the GSSL thread on the last page a few weeks ago if you want to know the symptoms. 
To everyone who sent me phone numbers and contact information, thank you very much! Much appreciated!
-mike

doh mike I thought you were located in so cal.

my bad dude.

Latest posts

Back