500 series blue face 1176 rev A - Help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlymeeee

So finally everything arrived and is available... so I guess we should turn this into a help thread...

Details.. of U76 can be find here
Manual
BOM

_________

Original post:

In my never ending quest for the 'ultimate portable signal chain' I started thinking about compressors - this naturally lead me to one of my faves, the 1176.. and a rev A blue face to be precise (rev AB in the UREI schematics)

So far I've used it a fair bit in the studio and love it. 

Some details: 
* Stuck to the rev AB schematic
* Using the converter board from the NV73 to generate the +30V, and then a zener for the -10V to give the same voltages as an original
* Meter board is from rev F so as to be a little more stable and less fiddly to set up.. does not effect sound.. I did it on opamp pins to prove to myself it wouldn't effect sound.. as I prefer to be as authentic as possible.
* Carbon comp resistors like the original
* Inrush less than 125mA current - normal usage around 100mA
* Easier to do all buttons in with these non interlocking switches
* Used it against some original silver faces and black faces and is definately in same family.. I need to find an elusive AB blue face though but they're quite rare to find!  Most of the blues I've come across have been revisions with transistor front ends not FET...

Some pics..

U76%20front%20small.jpg
U76%20guts2%20small.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone

[silent:arts] said:
[I want a stereo link switch]
That's what pin 6 is for! There's an extra pad on the pin marked 7 on the Urei schematic that you can wire straight to pin 6 of the gold fingers.

kepeb said:
looks awesome!
can you do the same as on your nv73 and just omit the dc-dc for 51x?
If it was a +30V rail it'd be ideal.. however running the unit on a +24V should be no problem.. if not a little different to the original.

The knobs I got from Buckeye knobs

As far as making them available .. I'm gonna be ordering some more for me and a few friends so if you let me know who's interested I'll make sure to have enough for you guys too... maybe also offer them more permanently like the NV73 if there's enough interest.

Back