500 series blue face 1176 rev A - Help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very nice! Need stereo link switch, +1.
If the GR meter circuit replaced with op-amp, why not replace detector circuit
(4 transistors, Q12...15 ref to 1176 schem) to 2 opamps+3 resistors...
This way, quad opamp will serve output meter rectifier, GR circuit, and detector. BTW, it will have same behavior as origin.
how does this compare to igor's F76?
Let's do it! Anyone?
As I can see, nice design, nice meter, nice knobs; should be fine if done good.
I avoided the use of DC/DC converter in 51X-F76, and this "output amp-trafo option" is impossible in my variant :)
If replacing the DC/DC converter to "analog" +30/-10 power supply leaves same signal to noise, I'd say, really cool.
So, we have an options, more options = more cool, the rest is the matter of taste.
Keep rockin! DIY rules.

Noise wise, no difference than taking a linear regulated +30V .. comparing to a UREI silver face it specs around 6dB noisier at full gain but the blue has more gain..  There's a few pi filters to keep DC-DC noise down.

Didn't change anything in signal or sidechain path as I wanted to keep that like original.

I'll just use the stereo jumper on a lunchbox if I need the detecters linked for stereo. aka, pin 7 on a urei.. with matched fets of course.

At the moment it's my fave drum compressor.. more 2nd harmonic than a silver face which I think is the extra grunginess I hear at the top end.. great on drums.

spase said:
anything new about this?

Hey, I'm currently waiting on a batch of the metalwork to come in .. and yes if there's enough interest, then I'll offer kits like I do for the NV73.

onlymeeee said:
Hey, I'm currently waiting on a batch of the metalwork to come in .. and yes if there's enough interest, then I'll offer kits like I do for the NV73.

Very nice.

can you tell us how much will cost full build for this one?becouse i think its gonna be the same like the full build mnats 1176 compressor.so i think this one need to be cheaper than mnats 1176,becouse mnats its easyer to build and you dont need rack.

spase said:
can you tell us how much will cost full build for this one?becouse i think its gonna be the same like the full build mnats 1176 compressor.so i think this one need to be cheaper than mnats 1176,becouse mnats its easyer to build and you dont need rack.

Not sure on cost yet.  I'd imagine slightly less than a full rack version, although cost is not the main reason I did it.. It's the ability to carry 10 1176s in just a 3u rack!  Carrying 10 full size 1176 would put my back out!  Also, having built mnats 1176, I definately disagree with ease of build issue.  Like all 500 series, the lack of individual power supplies and lack of lots of wiring makes it an easier build than the full size.  I think both full size and 500 series each have their own merits.

spase said:

No, you don't need a rack, but you do need a 2U enclosure, power supply, power cable, fuse, XLR connectors and a lot more hookup wire. Compare apples to apples, when it comes to build cost.

Latest posts

Back