Where should I start out?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fhl

Hi everyone, and thank you all for a wonderful forum.

A while ago I decided to build my own GSSL only to realize that I knew nothing about the process.

So I've read some electronics books (basic stuff) and soldered a couple of LED kits.

Now, where should I go from here? I don't really feel that I understand what all the components do (and why they're needed) in a given circuit.
Are there any good tutorial circuits that are explained in detail?

Also, I'd like to start doing a compressor/preamp. Does not have to be the GSSL. Babysteps.
I think a complete kit would be best for starters. Are there anyone around? I've seen the 500-series, but I don't have a 500 rack.

Thank you for helping out!
Fredrik

Hey Fredrik,

Welcome to the forum. I have not built a GSSL, but I do believe that it is a first project for many. There is a ton of info and support for building one, so that actually may be a good place to start. A mic preamp would be an even simpler project especially because most do not require any kind of calibration. A 312 type pre can be simplified by buying a pre made DOA.

I built up an LA 4 as my first project before doing my 312's. After the LA 4 the 312's were a breeze. I am almost glad I started with a more difficult project. The challenge forced me to learn a lot, but I do tend to learn more while doing.

My advice is to get your hands dirty in that GSSL, and get a swear jar. When the GSSL is all done, the swear jar will pay for your next project!

How far do you want to go? Do you just want to understand the components and parts of the circuits? Or do you want to design something from scratch?

If you are really interested in electronics, then I suggest taking some courses.

There are a few extremely good resources on the net:
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/video.php?subjectId=117106087
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/video.php?subjectId=117106088
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-002-circuits-and-electronics-spring-2007/

Thank you so much. I think I'll get busy with the search function and read up on the GSSL! I also think it's important to have something to strive after, or else it'll be kind of boring.

Do you have any tips as to what I need to get started? In the white marked I see premade GSSL front cases. I'm assuming there are kits to some degree as well.

Again thanks !

tbscope,
I like to have a fairly deep understanding of what I'm working with, but in the first run I wont be designing audio gear from scratch. Thanks for the courses. I'll look into it!

Hello Fhl,

I built a Gssl as my first project. I didn't understand what an opamp really did, or how it all worked! I just "painted by numbers" and as long as you put every part were it should go, the correct way (with polarized parts like diodes, and electrolytic capacitors). And solder everything correctly it will work!

For me part buying was a little confusing. But. I would say just do it, just try your best and you'll learn along the way.

For a first time builder, I would say sockets for all your opamps is a must. they are called "Dip" followed by the number of pins (8 for regular opamps and 16 for 4 channel opamps)

Double check when you order parts that non of them are SMD (surface mount) that happened to me a couple times....

'Through-hole" is the big stuff you want.

Make sure your electrolytic caps are rated the voltage in the BOM (bill of materials) or above Sometimes you can get them cheaper by getting higher rated voltages...(don't ask me why! economics I guess)

Data Sheets are your friend!! Look at them :)

Mouser.com is probably the least confusing place to buy parts....at least for me, they have a very nice search function.

Buying transformers was very confusing to me at first. until I found www.antekinc.com (fixed link..)(no I am not affiliated, just by far the best prices and quick shipment) and just like getting higher voltage rated capacitors you can always use transformers rated at a higher VA rating (just not higher voltage rating! Poof!)

All the transformers he sells are toroidal (a must) and have 2 secondary's (also a must on projects with + and - rails, like the gssl)

Anyway Goodlluck!

Here is the link to the original project at Jakob's site:
http://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

I am not sure if there are any full kits available for the GSSL, and I do believe that there are a number of BOM's for it. Maybe someone has shared their mouser cart?

I would say get a pre drilled case to start. Metal working is tough unless you have all the right tools, which tend to be expensive. If you want to do the metal work, I highly recommend Irwin unibit #1 for pot holes, and maybe a punch set for XLR and VU meter holes. Set of files for cleaning up your work, and a dremel comes in handy for IEC holes. All those tools will cost you much more than a pre drilled case.

Woaw, I'm speechless. Thank you all so much for your help.

I will most likely get a pre-drilled case, yes. Mouser.com looks like a great site.

It's just a matter of my wallet now :)

In the mean time I'll watch those great courses and do some research!

Sincerely
Fredrik

hey FHL.

I am also embarking on a gssl project around now :)
I have very nearly finished a dual 1176 and can proudly say I was able to get there with minimum fuss! only very minor previously unanswered details I had to confirm with the helpful souls here on the board.

I must say to everyone who doesn't understand already.. it is ESSENTIAL to develop some patience first, and read all of the related help thread. this place is a gold mine of knowledge. to paraphrase so many others. you just have to dig.

however.
there are now so many choices, options and alternatives for the gssl which deviate from the site linked above. I am having trouble continuing my project.

this started with investigation into the sidechain, depending on the options you choose, you may need different panel labels/design.

the turbo board which is, as i understand essential to make the gssl behave properly but i cant find the schematic anywhere to understand why.
SSC (super side chain) boards and the tilt or frequency filters are all something which i would like to maybe include. and you need multiples of this board if you have the turbo, for each channel.
all of which require lifting of components from the main board, so i have a half populated, non soldered board. and still dont really know what i need to finish it.

I'm not whining or expecting answers from an all powerful body :)
I'll get there, but its proving to be frustrating.

the g1176 has been a challenging and rewarding project in more ways than one (as i set myself strict rules) but is pretty much linear route wise and I must say was a lot less hassle.

Good luck what ever you choose, hope you post results :)

EDIT:
g1176 typo corrected

My advice is to build something point to point.  Like you I'm new to DIY audio, but I have a professional and academic background in electronics.  What I've found, regardless of what you're doing in electronics, is that you learn nothing when things work correctly.  The real learning begins when something is broken, you're frustrated, and you have to grind through troubleshooting until you reach a breakthrough.  All of that is more likely with a point to point build... 

point to point if your doing a guitar pedal. with no IC's
its important to go at your own pace.

and no high voltages until later :)

Hi Folks!
This thread is really encouraging!
I am new here and sort of an electronic noob, but I just love the idea of using gear that I built myself.
My parents bought me an electronic learning kit when I was 10 or 12 and I learned the basics about resistors, transistors and capacitors back then. It's been a while, but I sometimes managed to repair a few broken things in my home studio , so I thought I could do a few more steps in this direction.

I have been looking at the GSSL as well, but maybe I will try one of those guitar amp kits first, like the MADAMP stuff or something from http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php
I am curious how your GSSL project will go on!
Cheers!
Czyb

Back