DBX 160 Vu current

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QUEEF BAG

does any one know the proper current range the meter for a 160 should be seeing?

i've got one here that gets -2.6ma with no input signal (meter in input mode) to +2.5ma
with a good hot signal.  of course with no current the meter is at zero

i have heard the range should be between -1.6ma and +.6ma.

any solid info?

Shoot that info is buried in the original DBX 160vu thread...as I'm typing this I'm building up the effort to go digging through it again...

So the meter isn't behaving correctly how.?? Not showing enough deflection?

Cheers,
Abe

From David:
Here are the specs for the dbx meter:

A - 1.2 ma current will deflect it to -40.
A + .6 ma current will deflect it to +20.
The coil resistance is 1.4K.

Sounds like the meter has seen better days...Probably not the most elegant solution, but you might be able to wire in a buffer...

well...this is a new meter. this is a replacement meter 'cause the old one failed. 
it came in from another studio for calibration after the meter was replaced.
i'm not sure of the reason for the failure
it's NOS from david and works fine.  the owner is concerned about the amount of current.
it came in sportin' about -2.98ma with no input, but after a bit of dickin' aound it's at -2.6ma.
i asked him about this and he said that seems about right for no input signal,
still i worry a bit. 

i wonder if anyone has the specks on the beede meters and how much current they can take?

due to the rare event of both rooms being being between projects at the same time for a few hours,
i'm about to swap dbx 160 pairs between rooms here, & i'll measure one pair for comparison.
it could be all is well, i'm just tryin' to make sure this fella's $275 doesn't smoke.

ok back from a loud concert.

it seems like  most  160s max out around 2.7ma  (-2.7 for no in/out signal, +2.6 for plus 15 or 20dB
i tested three others, one with issues was -2.98ma with no input.

the original unit i question was -2.96ma. swapped R-60 (270R) to 300R. changed R-57 from 4.7k to 5k.
and R-55 from 100k to 91k. (not sure i that R-55 move was a good idea or needed)
with no input signal max is -2.6ma.
i guess this should be ok...

just thought i'd let ya know where i was at, and if there is any more info...

Latest posts

Back