SB4001 - 500 Series Stereo Buss Compressor - Update On Page 3***

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckus328

Well, I guess it's time to unveil this, hope you all like, questions welcomed.  Since a picture says a thousand words:

SB4001_Promo_Large.jpg

There will be a one time limited DIY run (probably 20-25 units if interest is there) with complete kits offered (complete kits meaning absolutely everything you need).  Since they will be limited, you must be a prodigy pro member as of today to get one.  Sorry to any newcomers, but I want to take care of all my friends here on the forum first. (assuming there is interest)

My goal was to develop the most flexible, high-end, pure pro audio compressor design I could, that would rival any of the commercial 500 and even 1U units out there in features, functionality, flexibility, and most importantly - sound.  I'll let you all be the judge.

There's only 2 boards (Left And Right - there is no control board or daughter boards) and there is virually no wiring (only a single ribbon cable and the wires to the meter.  Design uses grayhill switches, bourns audio line pots, quad VCA's, elna Caps in the audio path, all metalwork will be laser cut, powder coat aluminum front panel, etc.

Highlights:

Total Current Consumption - 160mA per rail (80mA per rail per channel)
Protection from 48V Phantom Power
True Bypass (Relay Controlled)
THAT1243/1646 recievers/drivers
On-board Quad VCA configuration, no fiddling with adapter boards, etc - it's all right there
Ratios - 1.5,2,4,6,8,10
Attack Times (Stepped) - .1,.3,1,3,5,10,15,20,25,30,40,50
Release Times (Stepped) - .3,.6,1.2, Classic Auto release (A1), Alternate Auto Release (A2)
Release Times (Variable - Engaged By Last Position On Stepped Switch) - any time from .1 Sec to 1.2 Sec
Sidechain filters - 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, Boost Mode, Tilt Mode
Wet/Dry Blend
"Grind" Mode - Special Harmonic Drive mode, adding vintage coloration
External/Key Input - Accepts Balanced or Unbalanced Inputs (inserted before sidechain filters)
Threshold (-15 to +15)
Gain (-6 to +18)
Grayhill Switches
Bourns 51 Series Audio Line Pots

What does the grind mode do, do you think it would be retrofitable to other GSSL / SB4000 / Mixbuzz builds?

She's looking great btw :)

Cheers,
B.

Looks beautiful, great work.

My goal was to develop the most flexible, high-end, pure pro audio compressor design I could, that would rival any of the commercial 500 and even 1U units out there in features, functionality, flexibility, and most importantly - sound.

A lofty goal, a constantly moving target, a very large field.

Latest posts

Back