SB4001 - 500 Series Stereo Buss Compressor - Update On Page 3***

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruckus, are you able to check whether it has any issues if it was installed in a lunchbox next to the power supply and what are your thoughts about it being a mastering compressor?

Wow guys, thanks.  I wasn't expecting that huge of a response.

First off I want to thank everyone that contributes to the forum for the vast knowlege it has given me, and also want to give a huuuuuuge thanks to Mr Harpo.  He's taught me so much over the last year which has allowed me to become very intimate with this circuit, and have the level of knowlege and understanding of it that I have today.  He's a great member of this community and my hat goes off to him.

I just want to clarify so there's no confusion.  You might notice there is no GSSL mode, that's because this is not a GSSL.  It's similar to a GSSL in that they are both based off the same original circuit so of course there's tons of overlap, but as mentioned as time as gone by I've become much more nowlegable of every aspect of the original circuit, so I was able to do all of the things here I always wanted to do as well as fix some issues.  I took a huge step back and went back to the roots, and the result is a design that more closely resembles a cross between the original console and fx384 than the GSSL, with some extra touches.

As far as pricing, I'm still waiting on some quotes, so I'll have something more set in stone later this week.  Bear in mind I cut no corners here, as mentioned grayhill switches, premium sealed pots, 10 VCA's in this thing, THAT input/output chips, machined aluminum knobs, top notch front panel/metalwork, etc. etc. etc.  And remember since it's a stereo unit everything is x's 2.  I did try to simplify and consolidate wherever possible though, and I gotta say it was damn easy to build.  A GSSL/SB4000 when all is said and done runs on average somewhere between $500-$600, granted that's with an enclosure, etc, but also with much cheaper lorlin switches/ pots and single VCA's amongst other things.  Not sure the price everyone's hoping for, but just to give you a guys some kind of ballpark figure I'm targeting somewhere around the $500 realm for a complete kit, which considering what you're getting is a very fair price.  I won't be able to give an exact number until the rest of the quoting is done, but it should be somewhere in that ballpark.

Now for some pics (sorry, no fancy photoshopping lol):

Belly of the beast:

SB4001_Side_View.jpg

Into the mouth of madness:)

SB4001_Top_View.jpg

canidoit said:
Ruckus, are you able to check whether it has any issues if it was installed in a lunchbox next to the power supply and what are your thoughts about it being a mastering compressor?

There have been no issues with it running in any of my lunchbox channels.  (Are there issues with some gear if used by the power supply?  I'm not famailiar with this)

The sound here is top notch, and it's extremely versatile and flexible with all of the additional functions, ranging from ultrea clean transparent to dirty in-your-face type sounds depending how you dial it in, don't really see any reason it can't be used for mastering applications, though I imagine you'd want to use it in conjunction with some kind of lookahead limiter to catch any stray transient peaks.

Ruckus, do you know when the kit will be available?

Also, how does the VU work? Can it display Output or Gain Reduction? I do not see a switch to select between the two.

Does this use a DC-DC converter and is it user selectable compatible with 51x racks?

I can't get over how nice that looks! I'd love to have one, but with a maternity leave looming in 4 weeks, there's no way i can jump on this and feed my family. If you still have them a year from now I want really bad.

Latest posts

Back