Soundclips - The Gus-47 and my G9

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

Ok, here they are as promised.

24 MB Wave:
http://www.emediatransfer.com/chris/Honeybear.wav

2.8MB MP3:
http://www.emediatransfer.com/chris/Honeybear.mp3

The tune is a children's song that my wife and I wrote about our hamster. Not our most rocking stuff, but....it does show off some DIY equipment. I was going to wait until I had the performances down better but decided to go ahead and post anyway. Please pardon the out of tune vocals (I don't use Automatontune). The high part is a little out of my range and will be sung by my wife later on.

All miced sources were through Gus's U-47 inspired mic into the OEP/hammond channel on my G9.

Recorder: Cubase SL 1.x with EMU 1820M interface

Drums: Steinberg groove agent. No processing or EQ.

Bass: '77 P-bass with Behringer GI100 DI. No proceesing or EQ.

Acoustic: Taylor 414CE. No processing or EQ.

Electric Gtr: Homemade guitar with underwound alinco neck humbucker into Vox valvetronix combo. Amp reverb. No processing or EQ.

Vocals: The rusty frog choir, featuring me, myself, and I. No EQ. UAD LA-2A plug-in set up as a limiter on mixdown.

Mix: Faders up. No mastering.

Details of my G9 build:
http://www.emediatransfer.com/G9diy.html

I'm sure Gus will chime in with more info on his U-47 inspired mic.

My personal comments: I am extraodinarily happy with my results. The acoustic recording sounds exactly like my guitar. No depth or definition was lost in the process. I also feel this is a perfect vocal mic for me. Without a side by side comparison, I prefer this over my previous favorite, a Soundelux 251. Now to hit Gus up for his exact recipie... :wink:

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

I have some nitpicking if you don't mind :grin:
Where did you use the OEP or Lundahl channel?
OOPS! just reread your post... all OEP!!
Acoustic gtr rocks veryvery much indeed

Thanks for posting this!
:thumb: great tune too :guinness:

Tony

The circuit is u47 inspired. The body is a mxl67 with all the layers in the grill the capsule is the stock 32mm 6 micron. It is like a bunch of my microphones built as a test in this case of the u47 electronics.

I think I will maybe buy a Blue K47 type capsule for the next one.

u47 inspired is important to remember. I used what I had or saw first this was a 12:1 jensen.

Next one will have a tab funkenwerk or maybe a cinemag and a M7 or K47 style capsule.

Gus is what are the differences between your U-47 inspired circuit and the Royer mod?

I'm doing the royer mod in the next few days. Do you see any further improvements to that circuit?

I can't say. The basic circuit was given to me and even though I changed some things I would not feel comfortable sharing it until I asked the person.

If you look thur the microphones posts and look at a U47 schematic you might get some hints.

I think you will be happy with the Royer. Remember the microphone in this post has a different grill than a 2001.

The circuit does not have a vf14 but a tube you could buy about a year ago for $0.50 USA.

Hey Chris, did you put those Hammonds on a tube tester? Those are the RCA side getter 12AU7's, I have a few dozen of those that test very good to beyond new. I like them. Test them and see what the tester has to say. Did you swap the Telefunkens out for the OEP channel to see if they've got as much umph as in the Lundahl channel?

[quote author="bradzatitagain"]Hey Chris, did you put those Hammonds on a tube tester? Those are the RCA side getter 12AU7's, I have a few dozen of those that test very good to beyond new. I like them. Test them and see what the tester has to say. Did you swap the Telefunkens out for the OEP channel to see if they've got as much umph as in the Lundahl channel?[/quote]

Hey Brad,

I don't really have any acess to a tube tester without paying for bench time. I suspect that the Hammonds have a lot of life left in them, since they came out of my Aunt's parlor organ that no almost no use. There were actually two different 12AU7's in the organ, both branded with the Hammond logo. One was a long-plate, and one was a short plate. Also one was clear-top but I don't remember which was which. I did a little research when building the G9 but now I can't recall what brands/models I thought they were. I still havbe a lot of tube rolling to do in this amp. I haven't tried the Telefunkens in the OEP channel yet. They definitely made a big difference in the Lundahl channel though.

-Chris

Try putting 2 of the same tube in the Hammond channel. The side getters are, of course, the ones with the silver flashing on the side of the tube. I confess I haven't tried these in the G9 but that bulk purchase was intended for multiple G9 channels after I tried a few out in my hi-fi preamp in response to rumor I heard about how nice these were. They're very quiet, no tube hash at all; since the circuit is the best tube tester of all just check your voltages against the curves in a tube manual and do an A/B w/the Telefunkens. You might twiddle some component values and squeeze a little more delisciousness out of those RCAs.

BTW: you'd be suprised how many "not used very often" tubes just plain crap out. NOS tubes crap out too, hit 'em with some juice and they just fizzle.

Latest posts

Back