KORG DSS-1 backlit display swap/death

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloff70

GDIY Supporter
Hi chaps,

I have a Korg DSS-1. It used to have a tiny hi pitch whining in the output and thinking the backlit LED display responsible I went about swapping it for an LCD according to this:

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/Korg_DSS-1/

It seemed very straight forward, and although I am totally not qualified to go inside this beast I had a go and did what is mentioned on that page, sourced the required LCD and connected it like it says. Now the Korg is silent/won't light up anywhere at all/dead to the world.....

Has anyone any ideas what I could try before I give up and expensively drive it around the country to a good keyboard tech....?

Hi,

EL backlight is driven by high volatage - like 120VAC or so. The link you posted does not say anything on how he got rid of that. very dangerous stuff.

He should have told how to remove the inverter that produces the voltage for the EL.

Sounds like you have produced a short somewhere causing the psu to fail.

Any burned parts ? blown fuses ?

Not that I could spot at the time ( a little while ago). I'll have another look and report back.

Dangerous indeed. I just taped up the loose ends of the AC, not really the greatest solution....need to get the inverter out of there.

defintely - actually the noise you noticed is coming from the inverter itself. Somnetimes they stay quite if the load is removed but most of the time they are still noisy

Ah! So keeping it in there might not even have solved the problem, even if I hadn't shorted something in the process....interesting. The inverternoise actually came out on the outputs, which is why I had a go at fixing it. It was high pitch ringing/hissing. Much higher pitch than what you hear when getting your ear close to the screen and very quietly, but definitely aggravating enough to need to lose it. Just didn't want to kill the whole keyboard in the process....lol. Or myself.

So the inverter needs to go and I'll have a look for burned out stuff and get back.......

Latest posts

Back