harrison mixbuss

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

just started to monkey around with this today. hmmmmm looks interesting. based off Ardour....  No midi music capabilities but it does to mtc and other useful midi functions.  hmmmmm further testing required.

I have been really interested in mix bus for awhile. I work in Logic, and was going to use Jack something something to use mix bus as a front end to Logic. Might still do it. Although there don't seem to be enough hours in a day to try out all the cool stuff that's around.

Keep us updated! Would love to hear your thoughts on mixing with it.

well I currently playing with a demo, so far I like the built in eq, and comps that show up automatically on the mixer. Plus the tape saturation that can be put on  mix buss is cool. Other cool feathers so far are the  bob kats metering option  Now I wonder if there is a way to get it work as a plug in to other software and such. hmmmm.

You can use the mixbus with any daw through Jack.  Not the easiest routing tho..... Cpu hungry as well.... I used to run it along with Logic, due to the routing hassle, I now run it standalone.  Ardour misses for me many things in the editing department;-)

I now edit in Logic, export the tracks and mix entirely in mixbus. (been using mixbus since it came)

I've experienced some 'bugs' in v2, mostly due to my languagesettings.  Harrison allways solve the problems and frequently updates major revisions for free.

pucho812 said:
well I currently playing with a demo, so far I like the built in eq, and comps that show up automatically on the mixer. Plus the tape saturation that can be put on  mix buss is cool. Other cool feathers so far are the  bob kats metering option  Now I wonder if there is a way to get it work as a plug in to other software and such. hmmmm.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they released the EQ and compressor as a channel strip, and then the tape saturation as a separate plug? That would be sweet. I really loved mixing with my UAD 4K strip when I had it. Routing through Jack is an option there, but as you say, adds some complication.

mjproc said:
You can use the mixbus with any daw through Jack.  Not the easiest routing tho..... Cpu hungry as well.... I used to run it along with Logic, due to the routing hassle, I now run it standalone.  Ardour misses for me many things in the editing department;-)

I now edit in Logic, export the tracks and mix entirely in mixbus. (been using mixbus since it came)

I've experienced some 'bugs' in v2, mostly due to my languagesettings.  Harrison allways solve the problems and frequently updates major revisions for free.

I doubt you can route through jack to go to pro tools. How does jack work exactly?

Insomniaclown said:
Looks like you have to use a Jack aware plugin. AU or VST only, so no pro tools.

looks like what I read. How is this for a work around, mixbuss to logic via jack, then logic to pro tools via, well it used to be tdm bridge but I beliebe you can still do that. urgh that would eat memory up like candy and I sure the latency would be huge.

Hi

I'm using Mixbus 2.0.3 exclusively on OSX to track, mix and finalise and I love it ( after years of cubase on Windows )

I'm now using my newly built GSSL as outboard with an Edirol FA-101 interface,  and mixbus has auto-compensation for the latency ( you can ping the outboard signal path )

workflow is fast and the built in channel dynamics and EQ are good.  I really like Mixbus and think it will evolve into one the very best DAW platforms if enough users give it a try vs the usual Logic/PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc

I'm building 2 mono G-Pultecs to add to the set up.
Rgds
Pete

PeteC said:
I really like Mixbus and think it will evolve into one the very best DAW platforms if enough users give it a try vs the usual Logic/PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc

Pete

I'd go for it if it were Win compatible.  But they have no intention of going that direction  :( soooo I'll stick with Cubase.

-casey

I have been thinking about it, but the audio editing and MIDI features of Logic make it difficult to decide. I could do my MIDI and editing in Logic then mix in harrison mixbus, but I often find myself mixing as I go. Still, it's worth a shot. I have read a lot of great things about the sound, and how quickly mixes come together using mix bus. AU plugin compatability is a big plus.

signalflow said:
PeteC said:
I really like Mixbus and think it will evolve into one the very best DAW platforms if enough users give it a try vs the usual Logic/PT/Nuendo/Cubase etc

Pete

I'd go for it if it were Win compatible.  But they have no intention of going that direction  :( soooo I'll stick with Cubase.

-casey

I converted a computer to Linux (ubuntu) and had ardour on it. Worked really well actually....I wish they had a WIN version too...I would use it

I've been using Mixbus since it's initial release - probably going on 2 years now.
I typically track and edit in protools m-powered but I've been doing all my mixing with Mixbus.  I think it sounds a lot better than the PT.  Plus it'll do 192K, which PT won't.
Many functions I haven't figured out yet - otherwise I'd probably go 100% to mixbus.

pro tools does 192 but only in the HD versions. Also what benifits do you get from doing 192 audio in mix buss when the audio you import into it is on max sample rate of 96K?

yea the only reason Im still pro tooling it is beat detective. they really nailed it....don't ever want to mix without it again (once I learned how to finally use it)

I'm seriously thinking about using one of my extra hard drives to have a dual boot system...one with the tools and one with linux. I like the idea of free user supported software...

Plus lets just get this out in the open....people that know their way around linux are just badasses in general. (i learned DOS but don't know anything about terminal...maybe this will give me a chance to learn)

pucho812 said:
pro tools does 192 but only in the HD versions. Also what benifits do you get from doing 192 audio in mix buss when the audio you import into it is on max sample rate of 96K?

My PT M-powered only does 96k.  But I track a lot to DSD, then edit at 192k. 
I'm one of the very few still holding out for a DSD multitrack (something I can afford), or at least a visual DSD editor.

geoff004 said:
pucho812 said:

My PT M-powered only does 96k.  But I track a lot to DSD, then edit at 192k. 
I'm one of the very few still holding out for a DSD multitrack (something I can afford), or at least a visual DSD editor.

wow dsd. don't get me started. I loved how dsd sounded best thing to analog I ever heard. May I ask how you multi-track in dsd land. Last I ever did anything with dsd most daw systems that did dsd did up to 8 track and were mastering systems like Sadie. unless you are only doing 8 track or have a sonoma dsd mutitrack recorder.

pucho812 said:
May I ask how you multi-track in dsd land.

I don't.  But I do plenty of location stuff with my Korg MR1000.  I'm considering a stack of MR2000s though.  I'm still trying to figure out how I could actually function without a DAW.  I've done editing with the Audiogate software - splicing takes and whatnot, but it's very cumbersome and slow.  But the converted files still sound pretty good when dropped in to Mixbus.

Well, I just downloaded a demo to check out. Haven't run any audio through it yet. Just taking a look at the interface. Looks slick! I have jack on here also, so I'll try routing signal from logic later tonight. Loaded in stillwell's vibe EQ. I like how you can control the parameters without opening the GUI. That's a nice feature. Being able to put the pre and post fader is nice. I think I might try to do a mix using only the mixbus EQ's, compressors, and tape saturation to see how I make out. Looks interesting!

I wonder if it would be worth it to load all the audio into Ardour instead of routing it from Logic.

Edit: Alrighty, I got audio going in this thing. Spent a long time messing around with Jack before I got everything working. I opened an existing Logic project and stripped off all my processing. I decided to set it up like a mixer, so I created 24 virtual channels in Jack, which I used for 10 mono tracks, and 7 stereo tracks for my Superior Drummer tracks in mixbus. I was able to get a pretty slamming drum mix going very quickly. I used a mix bus for parallel compression, and slammed that tape sat. Very cool. I hope to get one of my more complete projects running through mix bus within the next week. I like how they implement plugins being able to easily put them pre and post fader. Also being able to select and load multiple plugs at once is cool.

Couple of things. Having to flip back and forth between DAW's to stop and start things was a bit annoying. Although it's easy enough to just push record in Ardour to transfer all the tracks over that way. I think I would edit audio and MIDI in logic, and then capture it in Ardour for the mix down. No point in having both DAW's running at that stage.

Does mixbus have a similar I/O setup for outboard as logic uses? I gots ta have me LA 4's! **read the manual, tis possible**

I tried to set the outputs of my stereo channels to a single mixbus to create a drum bus, but I couldn't make it happen for some reason. I'll keep working on that.

Plugins. I mainly use Logic's AU's, so I would have to fork out some dough for a plugin package. If mixbus really is for me, Waves might see some of my money.

I am just working on my laptop right now, at work of course. Everything was fine until I started putting some stillwell plugs on for the mix. Then my aging MBP started to choke. Usually I can get a little further along before that happens. No big deal. Just have to try it out on the iMac.

I do really like the sound of mixbus, or I am still in the honeymoon phase. I do think it has a sound at this point, somehting about it. Hopefully I'll have the chance to get some serious work done with mixbus soon, and just so I don't get too caught up in things, mixbus will remind me that "hissssss, you have to buy this now, hisssss".

Interested to hear your logic mix vs. your mixbus mix.  Understanding of course that the comparison wont be that fair for either.

-Casey

Back