SSM2016 to THAT1512 in an AMEK Einstein.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Id like to change the op-amp in 1 channel of the amek einstein E10 just for the sake of experimenting.
My plan is to rip some components like R61, C8, C10, C12, r64 and R65.
Im pretty sure those components are not obligatory if that1512 are used..
Off course ill need to change VR9 to a 10K rev.
On the other side id like to know what are your toughts on this...the main reason why im doing this is becuz it seems like theres a lack of headroom in the console sound but im not sure its a E10 module the reason.
on the other side ive read about recap wont fix this problem!

heres the schematic thanks. http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/Amekeinstein/AmekEinsteinSchematicPage1.jpg

Thanks.

You're right about all these components that would nor be needed for a 1512.
I really doubt changing the 2016 for a 1512 would change your "lack of headroom". The 1512 could offer better noise and THD performance, but nothing to write home about.
Now I certainly would not discourage you to experiment, but it would be interesting to understand better your problem. Headroom problems translate into early distortion. Is that what you suffer?

Now I certainly would not discourage you to experiment, but it would be interesting to understand better your problem. Headroom problems translate into early distortion. Is that what you suffer?

youre 100% in there man!
But that could be related to that if not changing an op-amp?? Something else is that the saturation i heard...
Ive experimented with bad psu's affecting audio...but is there a relation here??
Thanks

I would suggest you to bypass the mic pre, using an external mic pre of good pedigree in the line input. Then you could connect it to the insert return, which would bypass the EQ too.
You could also try recapping one of the channels and see (hear) if it makes things better.

Abbey im gonna recap 2 channels and mod the mic preamps with THAT1512 and install 2 langley mod preamps.
See what happens...also ive been reading a lot on Matt Tyson at analog recording console and he suggest to recap or mod the main mix and monitor section first...

Im pretty sure the console sounds nice but before install it  i want to do all the necessary jobs.

Thanks abbey

3nity said:

youre 100% in there man!
But that could be related to that if not changing an op-amp?? Something else is that the saturation i heard...
Ive experimented with bad psu's affecting audio...but is there a relation here??
Thanks

Headroom is defined as the difference between "nominal" operating level and the max level, the latter of which is determined by the power supply rail and the amplifier's ability to swing to it. So if you power supply rails aren't in spec (too low), then sure, you'll clip at a level below what you expect and what the design should do.

-a

Andy Peters said:
Headroom is defined as the difference between "nominal" operating level and the max level, the latter of which is determined by the power supply rail and the amplifier's ability to swing to it.
True but a tad narrow definition in that case. It maybe that for some reason (e.g. worn decoupling caps, oxydized connections,...) some audible distortion comes before actually clipping.

Yes i need to check psu voltages as well!
ive checked before without load and it showed ok..but i dont know with load.
Another thing Matt Tyson sugested that a psu will only affect audio on about 2dbs of headroom!

Abbey you idead about bypassing the preamp and eq is good problem its that i have around 10-12 outboard preamps and sometimes i might need around 24 for mixing!!

Thanks all you guys.

3nity said:
Abbey im gonna recap 2 channels and mod the mic preamps with THAT1512 and install 2 langley mod preamps.
See what happens...

Hello Jorge, did you ever end up trying this stuff out in your Einstein modules?

Latest posts

Back