Ever feel that you just cant win with technology? What am I going to do?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce42

I was working on composing the score for a film when suddenly strange things started happening to my audio files. Corruptions, files disappearing and after reading as much as I could on web forums I gave up trying to resolve the problems after drowning in the litany of computer error problems. The computer makes strange noises and I don't trust even opening up a single music session for fear it will corrupt my existing work. The clock's a tick tick ticking away, I have to submit my score to the film people soon. The deadline simply wont be extended and I need to impress them. Film scoring opportunities are as rare as hens teeth. Because of this I realised I just cant wait.

So begrudgingly I bite the bullet after decideding I just don't have time to muck around and I buy a brand new shiny mac. It came with Lion its newly released OS. I figured if I bought brand new everything and started again I would at least have an up to date, current, very fast computer to just get down to making the music without crashes and things getting in my way.  Of course now my trusty version of Pro Tools doesn't work without its horribly outdated interface that doesn't connect to the new Mac,  so I figured I would buy new Pro tools 9 and a new interface as well. Yes more money, but if I was going to do this properly I had no choice and sadly the RKN AD/DA project on this board is a long way off. I had hoped it would be ready.  I wait endlessly for my local store to get the Apogee converter in, they give me the run around about how Apogee is sold out across the world.  I wait a few more weeks.

I receive PT 9, try to start loading and then discover this gem on Avids site:

"Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Alert
July 20, 2011
Apple has released OS X Lion (Mac OS X 10.7). As of this writing Pro Tools 9 and all earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible and will not work with OS X Lion. We are currently working with Apple in order to provide a compatible release of Pro Tools and will notify you as soon as this work has completed."

Now I am well and truly f#$ked!  What on earth am I going to do?

did the mac come with an os 10.6 disc? alot of times when mac is on the verge of a new os version they will ship the computer with both version in the backup software dvd

You're going to beg your way onto someone's functional rig/into someone's functional studio, and get it done!  Mess with technology later...  When you've got yourself past this crisis you can relax and work the bugs out.  You'll be feeling good about completing the project and have a good perspective on the problem.

Man what a bind to be in. The relentless "upgrades" and how none of the software will work with new versions of OS.

ITS

SO

RIDICULOUS!

So Many hours I've spent chasing versions of pro tools and UPGRADING and then DOWNGRADING its truly crazy.

I feel maybe slightly the pain you must be going through. Can you just back everything up and get a new hardrive for your old rig? Shoot I got a bunch of IDE (if thats what your computer needs) I can send one to you if you need...

Good luck!!

I build studios, maintain them, and fix broken old stuff.  I have at least two of everything I need to do that.
The computer has become such an important thing that I maintain a mirror of my main machine, and I have remote auto backups.

Did you Disk Warrior your original system?  There must be some garbaggio wreaking havok there.  My instinct is still to go back rather than forward.  What if you move HD's to a different same generation mac? 
Mike

Should be able to go back to OS 10.6.X then upgrade up to 10.6.8 on all current products. I read that as the case on all the new units including the new versions of the mini and air.

just need the $30 USD DVD copy of Snow Leopard and depending on the mac you bought a external drive..

Thanks all for your responses. I will try with an earlier OS version on an external drive. I hadn't thought of that.  Sometimes just feeling the support and assistance of others like your posts make me feel less overwhelmed and more able to objectively find a way rather than just freaking out.

Thanks once again!

Wouldn't it be nice if they allowed time for developers to catch up before releasing an update? Or if they gave you a choice of an older OS depending on your needs and software compatability? Ah, in a perfect world.

Good luck man!

Latest posts

Back