Audio Cyclopedia - the book

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anybody know if the last edition has the Steve Dove articles on Mixer design?
http://books.elsevier.com/uk//focalbooks/uk/subindex.asp?maintarget=&isbn=&country=United+Kingdom&srccode=&ref=&subcode=&head=&pdf=&basiccode=&txtSearch=&SearchField=&operator=&order=&community=focalbooks

[quote author="Samuel Groner"]You're talking about the "Handbook For Sound Engineers", right?

It does, p685. Good reading.

Samuel[/quote]
Thats the one
Just checking that the current edition still has it...

That stuff on console design in the New Audio Cyclopedia is probably the most useful reading I have in my collection. Love that book.

Brian

Yes, it is a nice book, I have the second edition from 1991 with 1500 page great reading. (include Steve Dove section)

But the old orginal Audio Cyclopedia, by Howard M. Tremine are my favorite pro-audio electronic book, the second edition from 1977 have 1.757 page and explain everything about tube and solid state recording, broadcast, film and sound system equipments, and have also a lot of schematics and applications.
This is absolute the book number one if you want to know pro-audio tech from the basic.

--Bo

The original Audio Cyclopedia by H. M. Tremaine was published in 1959. It incorporated material from his earlier book Attenuators, Equalizers and Filters (1956) as well as his series of articles titled "Practical Sound Engineering" that appeared in Radio and Television News in 1951. Tremaine's next book, Passive Audio Network Design, came out in 1964, and much of that material appeared in the second edition of the Audio Cyclopedia, which was released in 1969.

Mr. Tremaine died in 1969, but the second edition of the Cyclopedia was in print for about a decade afterwards. Sometime in the '80s, the publisher replaced it with The Handbook For Sound Engineers, which regrettably also bore the subtitle of The New Audio Cyclopedia (causing confusion to this day). But they're not the same book.

The latest edition of the Handbook has dropped the Cyclopedia moniker, and includes some excellent new material on transformers by Bill Whitlock, as well as continuing to feature Steve Dove's definitive chapter on console design, slightly updated. Even though whole chapters of the book (e.g., the section on equalizers) are lifted from Tremaine almost verbatim, old Howard is only mentioned in passing in the preface, and they spelled his name wrong :mad:

As i recall Steve Dove also did a series on mixer design for Studio Sound the British publication very in depth as i remember with some interesting discussion on ic opamp choices.I`m sure ive still got them in my archive.

[quote author="ggoerss"]As i recall Steve Dove also did a series on mixer design for Studio Sound the British publication very in depth as i remember with some interesting discussion on ic opamp choices.I`m sure ive still got them in my archive.[/quote]
Can anybody confirm the rumour that the chapters in the book are exactly the same as the Studio Sound chapters

and... sod £90 the second edition is going for £400!!!

didn't receive any email or pm
if you would like to try again...

simon(dot)turnbull
(at)
atosorigin
(dot)
com

Hi UK,

The article series is just reprinted in the Handbook. I know cause I asked Fred Forssell where to find the Studio Sound article, to get more info on Steve Dove's CAPS EQ design. He pointed me to the book, which I immediately ordered and have been studying ever since.

The best information source I have come across so far... Highly recommended!

regards,

Rogy

Thanks guys - somebody is sorting me out via snail mail
Without sounding cheesy - this is the BEST forum

Like many others contributors of a "certain age" - I remember the Studio Sound series of articles by Steve Dove - who at the time of writing was designing mixers for the original Alice company - run by Ted Fletcher. They had a major piece of the action for the production of mixers for the Commercial Radio stations which were licenced by the UK government at the time - to compete with the BBC.
They had to meet very demanding IBA (Independent Broadcasting Authority) specifications - before they could go "on the air" - very few manufacturers could get anywhere near this with standard products (of which there were actually very few anyway).
Where I live Alice designed and built a very special mixer for the radio station that was a "world first" - in that it served two major cities - and could send a common program to both - but separate advertisements if desired.
But where in the world is Steve now?

But where in the world is Steve now?

I had an email from Steve a month or so ago. In my reply to him I asked where he was these days. He didn't say. I've heard he's in the USA somewhere, but I don't know for sure. He does show up at the AES shows here in the US quite regularly.

Latest posts

Back