Balanced / unbalanced line receivers ICs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miquel

Balanced / unbalanced line receivers

I need a receiver line. I would like to use the THAT 1240, or the Ingenius version THAT 1200. I don’t really understand the benefits of Ingenius version because both versions ensure CMMR 90dB, but…..

On the other hand I have an important question.

Can these devices connected to an unbalanced line? (pin 3 to pin 1). (I think it’s important to considerer that possibility in a studio recording).

Thanks

Miquel

(Note: The forum search with word THAT is very difficult…..)

miquel said:
Balanced / unbalanced line receivers

I need a receiver line. I would like to use the THAT 1240, or the Ingenius version THAT 1200. I don’t really understand the benefits of Ingenius version because both versions ensure CMMR 90dB, but…..
The Ingenius version is suppposed to guarantee the highest CMRR even with imperfectly balanced cables.
On the other hand I have an important question.

Can these devices connected to an unbalanced line? (pin 3 to pin 1). (I think it’s important to considerer that possibility in a studio recording).
Yes. For better performance, the connection must be done with balanced cable and pins 3 and 1 joined at the unbalanced extremity.
(Note: The forum search with word THAT is very difficult…..)
You must google thatcorporation or thatcorp

Thanks

Maybe I have expressed badly.

Somewhere (I don’t remember when and where), I read that IC line receivers can not be fed with unbalanced line as follows:

XLR Pin 1 = ground
XLR Pin 2 = pin 3 IC (positive input), obviously….
XLR Pin 3 = ground = pin 2 IC (negative input), (for example, because we have plugged an unbalanced cable, for example with a inexpensive RCA end)

And that is for some DC reason.

Is that true?.

My question is not the balanced feed (the normal and legitimate feed), is only for the unbalanced occasional feed (with Pin3 XLR to Pin1).

(Excuse my wrong English, in old time I was a bad English student) :-[.

Miquel

from how i understand it, the that line receivers are supposed to be "transformer-like" so they should work fine with the unbalanced feed as how you describe.

Si.. the differential input can accept an unbalanced source.

The unbalanced hot connects to pin 2
the unbalanced ground connects to pin 3 and pin 1.

So grounds are connected and differential input reads hot vs. external ground .

JR

Latest posts

Back