Jet Star...what the *##!&***#*#*#*#**

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

What a fabulous airline (sarcastic smiley). My girlfriend was checking over our baggage allowances for our flight from Auckland to Wellington. We had booked the flight with Jet Star, and they had sent an updated our itinerary. Nothing was different, except the fact they had re classed our tickets to a ones that did not allow checked baggage! If we did want checked baggage, it was at a cost of $15 per kilogram.

We were able to get a grab seat from Air NZ this morning, which came out to $1 cheaper than our original Jet Star booking. We had heard that Jet Star was ass, but we figured the savings at the time were worth the risk.

Gotta put my A-hole hat on. We're getting that money back.

I always book with a CC and then it is easy to negotiate a refund, especially with a switcheroo like yours.

The fact is that airlines these days are not making much on selling tickets and flying people from point to point.  They are making $$ by selling the passengers food, services, extra leg room, and hitting them when they want to change their travel dates.
Jet Blue had the cabin at about 55 degrees F and went around selling pillow/blanket sets for $7.99.  We passed on the paper box meals in favor of some sweet sandwiches I made earlier.  Had to drop for the tiny-wines though. 
International travel still gives blankets and food, for now.
Mike
PS: If they start charging for playing the on-board trivia, I will definitely make the news inna Deperdeau stylee. 

I had a round trip flight on american-8 hours each way.  I was surprised when I bought a beer the first time I had to remind the lady to charge my cc card and she acted surprised (and strangely enough I saw on my bill she only charged half price), then on the flight back, I got another beer, and I didn't even ask to pay and they never asked for a card...I guess they figured it was better customer service to act like first class was drinking lots of free booze and not charge us or something...

sodderboy said:
I always book with a CC and then it is easy to negotiate a refund, especially with a switcheroo like yours.

The fact is that airlines these days are not making much on selling tickets and flying people from point to point.  They are making $$ by selling the passengers food, services, extra leg room, and hitting them when they want to change their travel dates.
Jet Blue had the cabin at about 55 degrees F and went around selling pillow/blanket sets for $7.99.  We passed on the paper box meals in favor of some sweet sandwiches I made earlier.  Had to drop for the tiny-wines though. 
International travel still gives blankets and food, for now.
Mike
PS: If they start charging for playing the on-board trivia, I will definitely make the news inna Deperdeau stylee.

whoa... they let you take food from home on the airlines there? NOTHING get's past security here... if you brought a bag lunch, it may as well be a bomb... but hey, this is what America is about, right? Keeping us all in fear? It's what the founding fathers wanted.

gemini86 said:
whoa... they let you take food from home on the airlines there?

Outside food is not verboten...beverages are.

All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.
Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

drinks are still free in 1st class on AA -- on some intl flights in coach. If it was an 8 hour flight to get from Dallas to Chicago, then they might break out the drinks to soothe tempers.

deuce42 said:
I believe jetstar to be total ass. I mean budget airlines rare always bad and jetstar is at the bottom of that pile

I have joined the club! Just took a look at their facebook page. Judging from other peoples experiences, I am not going to see any of my money, but I am sure going to try. We did book on a credit card, so there may be some hope.

We always like to take a good selection of food with us when we get on the plane, especially for the 13 hour haul we have ahead of us. I really hope the booze is still free for that one!

Security in Canada is getting just as bad as the states. We have some of those new fandangled body scanners, so now terrorists have to hide their bombs elsewhere. Personally, I think they are pointless. Oh well, what are you going to do.

On the subject of customs, we are travelling through the states. Anyway had any issues with microphones or interfaces in their checked baggage? Any "Mr Johnson please report to security for questioning" type calls?

Last time i flew to the states from Canada, I was asked taken to some office, having no idea why. Some guy called me to his desk, and turns out I was sent there because i had an apple. It was confiscated...

Jetstar are GARBAGE.
I've flown all around Australia with them, as well as from Melbourne to Osaka and back. Never again.

Ptownkid said:
Last time i flew to the states from Canada, I was asked taken to some office, having no idea why. Some guy called me to his desk, and turns out I was sent there because i had an apple. It was confiscated...

"Sir, we need to have a word. Now, you do realize that you have attempted to bring contraband into these United States? No? Then what do you call this? Oh, an Apple. Well, how do I know it's an apple. It could be an apple, or a ticking time bomb that will destroy the delicate eco system here. No apple, be it spartan, mcintosh, or gala is allowed into America unless it is an American apple. Bought and paid for with American money after it has arrived from Mexico. I will have to confiscate this item sir, and you'd do well to educate yourself on our regulations, or we may have this talk again."

Or maybe he forgot his lunch.

You guys have proven that Jetstar certainly lives up to it's reputation!. I think I have a couple of slogans:

"No mile high club, we screw you on the ground"

"Our flights are cheap, so we're allowed to suck"

"Because you had no other choice"

You can get food , Not liquids [ over 100ml ] on domestic flights
movies are another money makers , some charge , some don't
helps make the time go faster , it's the only time i ever see new releases
as long as they don't interupt [ in both official languages  ] so many times
trying to be clever & funny that i don't get to see the whole movie .
and the constant little rules that won't really make any difference if you WERE to crash
I take both earbuds & noise cancelling headphones .

Latest posts

Back