Apex 480 mod...HELP!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danja

Hey Guys (and Gals  :) ) Need help modding my Apex 480! First off, I'm no expert when it comes to electronics, actually I'm pretty much a newbie, so forgive my ignorance should this question have a simple answer! I recently stumbled on schematics for modding the 480 to a FET47 and (since I can't afford an original FET, figured I'd mod mine). The issue I'm having is finding the input capacitors, according to the schems I am supposed to replace them. The schems I found don't label which caps are input etc. Here's the schematic...

http://foxaudioresearch.ca/APEX%20480%20Mods%20Rev%202.jpg

I'm no expert either, so take my advice accordingly...

There seems to be a typo on the mod instructions. It probably should read "C8 change with 2000pf polystyrene" not C9. I don't know the 480 but have modded a few of their other mics (460, 435, pencil condensers). On the LDCs, I seem to recall that C8(?) is mounted on the underside of the PCB.

Does this help?

@ rmaier - It helps...it was a bit confusing trying to find C9!! TKS!

@ pucho812 - I spoke to the guy from Fox Audio Research, he seems like a pretty good guy! He was selling the mods as a kit but doesn't have time anymore, so I'm pretty much trying to figure this thing out on my own. Thanks for the advice!

o.k. well just letting you know to proceed with caution. Looks like an interesting mod to say the least. with the mic being so inexpensive I may try it on my own sometime. I would be curious to see how 47 ish you can make it. maybe put in a tab funken works transformer as well?
oh also looking at the schematic, it is c8 that you change out!! and not c9.

It does sound tempting, and the site posting the mods seems legit. Please let us know how it goes. I could probably use a couple of Fet LDCs.

Not sure if the polar pattern has to be switched, but If I read correctly the figure 8 pattern does not work properly with the Apex 480, there isn't enought juice in the circuit to power it. I'm picking up the polystyrene caps and hopefully getting my capsule soon...I'll keep u posted on my results!!
I recently heard about the RK47 capsule being a good replica of the U47 capsule have you guys had any experience with it? It's much cheaper than the PK47

Latest posts

Back