Echo Audiofire 12 trouble-overheating?!?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

We use an Echo Audiofire12 in our live show.  I'm running Ableton and reason on a macbook pro.  Last night-for the first time-we were having horrible distortion.  I noticed that the CPU usage displayed in Ableton was shooting up to 200% (?!?).  The computer was unusable, and the show suffered.

Today in rehearsal, thankfully, we were able to recreate the problem right off the bat.  Very high CPU usage on a set that until yesterday had the meters pegged at 50% CPU.  Se we tried lots of various software combinations, and then I ran jackrouter and emulated the same number of outputs from the audiofire into my Apogee Duet.  The cpu dropped down, and everything was fine...

So that made us narrow the issue down to the Audiofire-if a soundcard is malfunctioning somehow, can it jack up the CPU usage on the computer?

I'm thinking I should pop it open and look for any blown caps, etc in the power supply...

I was probably 105 degrees at the show last night, so we are definitely working with some heat...

Back