US tax

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

i moved to CA, i will be buying some electronic parts from Europe, and i will get some of my equipment shipped to here from Turkey...

my question is, how does Tax thing works in CA? ... when i get parts from Europe via post,
do i pay Tax at local post office, or do i need to go somewhere for my tax etc...
and, how does Tax works with Fed_ex, UPS etc...

cheers

I've never paid any tax to receive packages from Canada, Mexico,Europe or Asia using regular post.  Mail man should just deliver the package.  As far as UPS and Fed Ex I don't know, but I don't think they would charge you either.

-Casey

This is a very complicated matter and will depend upon the carrier as well as the state you live in. There will probably be a US tariff put on the equipment or parts. If it comes FedEx or UPS, they will typically send you a bill after you receive your goods. You will most likely be liable for state sales tax as well. All states handle this differently because they are stupid. I was unaware of the Illinois "use tax" that I had to voluntarily remit after I got a pair of RADAR's from Canada about 6 years ago. They came FedEx and I was billed by them for the US tariff. Nearly 3 years later, I received a letter from the IL Department of Revenue showing the use tax I was late on plus penalties and interest. That all came to almost $1300. Not a happy day.

I have never been charged a tariff or the use tax thing when something has came thru the USPS. I would choose them for International if you can.

Best, Jeff

Jeff, sorry to hear about your tax bill, that sucks :(

i should start shopping then :)

I get contacted every time if out of country customers send repair jobs by FedEx, or UPS. Every time it is a major PITA to deal with them--send forms, give proof that that's not for me, that I am a company, etc.
In short, just use USPS.

Best, M 

is it just me or is it extremely unclear what the tax is? I've sent a few tubes and things abroad, and I've filled out customs forms, received things from abroad, never had to deal with anything. Where do you find out what you should expect and when? Is it something that's just made up on the fly, like DMV's laws and regulations?

gemini86 said:
is it just me or is it extremely unclear what the tax is? I've sent a few tubes and things abroad, and I've filled out customs forms, received things from abroad, never had to deal with anything. Where do you find out what you should expect and when? Is it something that's just made up on the fly, like DMV's laws and regulations?

There is a very big difference between some $200-$500 worth of tubes and stuff, and $5,000--$10,000 vintage microphones. The funny thing, when they are sent USPS nobody cares, but FedEx/UPS seem to be a problem.

Best, M

UPS, Fed Ex and DHL all go by the value of the shipment and where it's made
USPS I've never been charged extra...Or any country mail
They do send a bill seperatly as above and I don't know what calls for extra charge.

I do know when I ship to Canada if by UPS brokerage fee is minimum $25.00
and the US Mail only adds $5.00 and 0 if at $20.00

Steve

We have the same situation for the most part here in Canada. Anything shipped via UPS, FEDEX, etc gets hit for brokerage (min $30) and taxes/duties 100% of the time, whereas USPS shipments are handled by Canada Post and it's total random whether or not they hit you for the aforementioned fees. Even IF they do bill you, they charge $8 for brokerage.

Back