CAPS LOCK KEY Grrrrr......

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Why do manufacturers insist on placing the CAPS LOCK key right next to the (left) shift key. I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally pressed the CAPS LOCK key instead of the shift key only to look up a while later and find a wHOLE LINE WRIITEN IC CAPITALS.

I am tempted to take the bloody think off.

chEERS

iAN

ruffrecords said:
Why do manufacturers insist on placing the CAPS LOCK key right next to the (left) shift key. I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally pressed the CAPS LOCK key instead of the shift key only to look up a while later and find a wHOLE LINE WRIITEN IC CAPITALS.

I am tempted to take the bloody think off.

Remap it to the control key, as G-d intended.

-a

I routinely rip out keys I don't like from my keyboard - windows key, etc...
(can't say what were the other keys co they not there anymore  ;D)

Seems to me that the caps lock should be up there with the scroll lock and such... Such a key should not be mingling with the real ones.

In the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) program, N. Negroponte took the cap's look key out of the keyboard. It is just not there.

There is no need for it for any modern use I can think of.

b

I suppose there is a use for flamers in a forum, but while that may be a large market, it isn't a good market;)

Logic Audio Caps Lock MIDI Keyboard!!! Couldn't live without it, I've done full orchestral arrangements playing in all the parts just using this, its great! plus it has a little delay that makes u automatically anticipate when playing parts in, giving things a certain loose, funky sort of feel - great once u get used to it, i use it everyday!

I use it quite a bit, especially when laying out a PCB or schematic... I like everything in caps then, easier to read in silkscreen, IMO.

MLM said:
Logic Audio Caps Lock MIDI Keyboard!!! Couldn't live without it, I've done full orchestral arrangements playing in all the parts just using this, its great! plus it has a little delay that makes u automatically anticipate when playing parts in, giving things a certain loose, funky sort of feel - great once u get used to it, i use it everyday!

wow, um, never heard of an M-Audio KeyStation 49e used on ebay for $50, eh?  smh...

lol yeh obviously! I use external keys all the time as well, but having this means all u need is your laptop, no need to lug extra keyboard around with u, plus u can make quick changes & work while on flights etc!

Yeah , i don't got it either but, good technique says you should be looking at what your typing , [ not the keys ]
you can hold the shift key as a temporary caps lock when typing letters
[ that way you could take off the actual caps lock key ]

I withdraw my disparaging remark about the market for users of the Caps Lock key!

But I do still think it would be a slightly better world without the caps lock key.

I never look at the screen...

(I use the chicken peck method, but at lightning speed. I did learn proper keyboard skills as a child, but quickly rejected it.)

fwiw , apparently  there is a better arrangement for the letters on the keyboard but back in the early typewriter
days they jamed up too often so in order to stop that , they changed the keys to qwerty to slow people down
with the age of software some offices use the earlier arrangement , don't know where the caps key is for that !

living sounds said:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-vista/

AHA!!! I don't use windo$e I use Linux but that turns out to be just as easy. In the keyboard preferences there is an option to turn caps lock OFF!! YIPPEE!!!

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back