How much should I pay for a good oscilloscope?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchilada

Hi guys,

As the title suggests, how much should I pay for an old oscilloscope? I can get a basic one for AU$100 or a more advanced on which the guy I'm buying it from says will pretty much set itself up and I won't need to adjust it for $200. The $200 one is at least twice the width of the $100 with 2 or 3 times the controls and they are both about 2.5 feet deep. They're actually much larger than I expected. I might call him and see if I can get the make/model.

Thanks again,

Kris

So an analog, (sorry, missed the part where you said 'old' so USB is out.).

Check what model it is, what the bandwidth is (higher is better for seeing oscillations at radio frequencies), and how many channels.

Just got off the horn,

The $200 one is a Philips PM-3055. He tells me that this is the latest revision and is 100HMz.

The $100 one is a BWD-820, apparently it was made in Melbourne.

the philips looks like a nice unit, never heard if the other. If they're both working, either should be enough for your needs. They don't get a lot cheaper, unless you luck out on ebay, or it's a basket case.

Not really keen for eBay because of the risk of getting a dud unit. I know this guy personally and he has a heap of these so if I got a dud, he would gladly swap me for a working one.

One thing I forgot to mention, he says it doesn't come with probes  :eek:. Are they expensive?

At that price, it's certainly worth taking a chance. I'm sure for most 'jobbing' work it would be fine.

Back