Enchilada

KiCad Help - Schematic to PCB
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:05:47 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping there is someone here who is amazing with KiCad. I'm having some difficulty creating a PCB for the small diaphragm Royer mod power supply. A lot of people have told me that this is quite a simple circuit and I could probably do it point-to-point. I thought that seeing as this is such a simple circuit it would be a good exercise in learning how to go from schematic to PCB. I'll stick to point-to-point with the tube wiring, trying my best to sort out a PCB for the power supply though.

I'm kind of stuck, I think the schematic looks kind of OK but I'm not sure about anything I've done after that. I've linked a zip with all the relevant files in it, could someone be so kind as to have a look for me and steer me in the right direction?

Thanks, below is a link to the Royer mod 2 (not the 2001 Royer mod).

Kris
http://csusap.csu.edu.au/~krosulli/PSU.zip
http://www.idpmultimedia.com.au/diyfactory/projects/royerproject/royermod_2.pdf

gemini86

Re: KiCad Help - Schematic to PCB
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:15:35 AM »
What exactly are you stuck with? 1st thing, add some I/O modules, I like to use the 'bornier' screw terminals (already a footprint for that in kicad). 2nd, your track width is only 8 mils... bump that up to something like .06" at least. The wider the better. (this is done under 'design rules'.

Anyway, off to bed. good luck.
- Rodney

"...you better call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the danger zone."

Enchilada

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:53:50 AM »
One thing I'm stuck on is how to show where a wire comes off the PCB in the schematic and which footprint to use e.g. wires connecting the PCB to the 5-pin XLR.

Enchilada

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »
Also, I'm not sure I've shown the power connection correctly or how to show it on the PCB.

gemini86

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Use "conn_2" (3,4,5 whatever you need) in eschema. Then assign the bornier2,3,4,5 etc for use in the pcb editor.

You can use net labels to define your xlr pins, pwr in, etc.
- Rodney

"...you better call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the danger zone."