recapping an Eventide H3000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

Recapping an Eventide H3000, is it worth it?
My unit works as should. Only thing that bothers me is that when the led-bars light up, the display dims a little.
I first thought that this might be due to failing caps in the PSU and/or power rails.
I've read that the PSU transformer is underspeced and this behaviour kinda confirms this.
I don't think that recapping will cure the led-bar/display dim behaviour. New caps will hold the needed current a bit longer but in the end the display WILL dim when the transformer is not able to supply the needed current. Or am I missing something?

Now, this unit is rather old, with lots of tantalum caps on the power rails.

What do you people think? Recapping? Or just leave it as is?

Anyone with a similar experience?

may open up a can of worms , you know , if it's working .............
I have an H3000 SE ,  [ glitches way more than i remember , Argh 80's hangover & lukather gtr sounds ]
  but no problems , I have enough things to do and wouldn't look forward to opening it up ,
So I'd leave it alone

radiance said:
Only thing that bothers me is that when the led-bars light up, the display dims a little.

Running a wire from a solid PSU ground point to a ground near the Led meter on the frontpanel solved this.
Props to David Kulka!!

Back