Transistor and FET theory-correction

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

college101

We jsut started talking about Fet's in my current Electronics class, and my teacher has pretty much been falling asleep..

so some of the more experienced kids in my class have been talking about the benefits of using FET's

Im curreently building an 1176 where Im utilizing FET's in the build

BUT

If current is flowing to the collector, and the Bas and emitter have a set limit,  If I want to lower the Collector current, I need to raise the resistance before it hit's the collector!? Correct??

Or..would you say, the collector PIN would be bad if it is reading High

This is a totally self serving question regarding FET's, but I plan on talking about it in class anyway....I'd love to get your input!

The whole mojo is about "semi-conductors"... say that three times slowly... Not conductors, not insulators, but "semi"-conductors.

Transistors modulated the conduction between collector and emitter with a base current that is generally multiplied in the collector-emitter path. JFETs aka (junction) Field effect devices, modulate conduction in the drain-source channel based on a field created by the gate "pinch off" voltage. This "field" "effects" the conduction channel.

jFETs, work kind of opposite from transistors, where the JFET is most conductive for 0V gate voltage, and gets progressively turned off (pinched off) as gate voltage gets further away from 0V,  while transistors conduct more the more base current they get.

Caveat.. this is kind of simplified and there are variant MOSFET devices turned on by more voltage, but one dose of semiconductor physics at a time.

JR

Latest posts

Back