I bought a prehistoric (1937?) valve osciloscope for 5 Euro... now what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

Hi all

I was at a huge flea / car market today in Poland and I stumbled upon something that looked to a newbe as I am like an oscilloscope...  After fierce negotiation I bought it for a little less than 5 euro. When I came home, I found lots of links on the machine (a Philips GM 3155), but all of them were from museums... since it is a valve based oscilloscope from the 1930's: http://www.uibk.ac.at/exphys/museum/html/details/electr/oszi_2_seite.html.en. I have attached a picture of the on-line found inside, combined with the front of mine. As you can see, the inputs are modified for some sort of DIN input.

So should I keep this antique piece of engineering from Holland? And, if it was working, would it be of any use to me?
Or is there any of you out there who has a very good reason why he or she would buy it from me for 5 euro plus postingfee as a gift back to this community?

Cheers

Erik

Attachments

• front insie.jpg
    front insie.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 134
Hahaha... It might be too old for that! But "What is a jackob's ladder?" made a great quizz question at the polish barbeque I am now.... As was " What would a mad scientist sound like?" So thank you!

It is a perfectly respectable and restorable 100KC (KHz) 'scope. Fine for 90%-99.44% of all audio needs.

I could have killed for that when I designed Rotwang's laboratory in the stage production of Metropolis in 1990.

Anyhow, I would restore it if you are into that sort of thing.

Back