Sub/Analog Mix Options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr1200

Used the 8200A and thought it sounded pretty good.  It blew a 2520 within a few hours of me using it, though.  I also thought that it was a bit expensive for what it was, 8  IC inputs going to a good summing section.  I think you could build something like this with the Classic API kits that are out there.
Craig

Why don´t you get a small console? There are many options within your budget if you go used. The functionality you get from a conole is so much better than from these 1U racksolutions.

I was looking at some A&H stuff, nothing really blew my mind.  The SSL should have a familiar sound (i hope) after working on 4000's for a while. 

As far as building one, I started to work on a design for one, but kinda got stuck when i got to the output stage.  Originally, i was going to use transformers on each channel, but that was going to send the price through the roof, then I figured just output trannys, but ran into issues with balancing before the output stage... 

Ive seen good things written about the SUMTHING.  I have 4 or 6 2520's laying around in the shop, perhaps I should revisit the build idea.

I don't know if you're invested in the 500 series format, but if so have you considered this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Workhorse500/
500-series rack with 8-channels of panning, summing, and monitoring.

Get a real console! ;)
On the used market you can find some nice ones : I've found an Amek BC3, 18 mono input with Lundahl transformers, 10 stereo input, and Lundahl on the output too! I have 18 real EQ and 4 auxes which are always usefull (even if I do most of my Fx sends in the box, to keep the recall easy). Inserts pre and post-fader on each input and ouput : more possibilities than with just a summing box.
Or if you don't want auxes and EQ, you can DIY your own box, with transformers on input and output, Classic API or Carnhill, up to your tastes! ;)

Well, one of our awesome board members just offered his unfinished sumthing board up that i just bought, which still leaves a nice chunck o change left over.  ill check out the BAY and see if theres anything worth lookin at.  It would be nice to have the EQ and such, just dont know where I'd fit it lol.  The racks and desk are gettin kinda full.

If you are still looking Speck xsum should be looked at
http://www.vintageking.com/Speck-X-Sum-Line-Mixer-with-Breakout-Box

On the cheap the rane sm82 is surprisingly useful

Crappy photos, but, I got the SUMTHING up and running.
I hooked up both the DB25s and the 1/4" (i was bored).  Gets shot out to a mic pre, sounds great!

303039_238825512837711_233521766701419_592703_1126552112_n.jpg

sumback.JPG

Latest posts

Back