Roland Dimension D question sdd-320

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

I've a Dimension D for some years now and it acts weird when in mode 4.
Most of the time it runs fine (in mode 4) but sometimes it produces static/crackling noise on the left output.
Switching back and fourth between mode's makes the noise go away. Also, tapping the unit makes the noise go away as well which brings us to the next symptom: in mode 4, tapping the unit gives spikes (and noise) on the level meter.
Somehow, in mode 4, the unit has became microphonic.
All these symptoms only happen on the left channel output.

I have since recapped the unit, cleaned all switches and connectors properly, looked for cold solder joints & re flowed some joints and calibrated the unit.
Nothing has made a change.

I'm about to re flow all solder joints on the left section. Or could this all be caused by a bad IC or transistor?

I've build a haible subtle chorus which is based on the Dimension D. In mode 4 the signal flow in the unit is different to the first three ones, this might help to isolate the problem.

difficult...

Also, it seems I've a different version as the one in the service manual.
Main difference is that it uses 2041DD's instead of the HA1457's ...

living sounds said:
I've build a haible subtle chorus which is based on the Dimension D. In mode 4 the signal flow in the unit is different to the first three ones, this might help to isolate the problem.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just want to thank you so much! I didn't know such a project existed and I have been longing for a good analog bbd chorus, let alone a Dimension D clone! Thanks for bringing that up!  ;D ;D ;D

I think I found it.
First I replaced Q111 because it was the most "microphonic" component and because it is located after the mode 4 switch.
At power up it worked but after 5 minutes or so the problem returned.
I then reflowed  all solder joints around Q111 and that seems to have done it...fingers crossed.

So, I'm still not sure what it was that solved it...a bad fet or cold solder joints....

Latest posts

Back