Reder ribbon mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hasse

Anyone who ever seen anything like it?
129052643_1.jpg

I've search the web, but found nothing. I bought it recently. About $70. It works and sounds good. But the "handle" looks funny.  :)
How do I use it? :-[ I mean, is there a preferable situation where it "works" better than others?
Where does it come from? Can't find any info 'bout the "Reder" company.
Very grateful for input!

I haven't seen one quite like that, but it looks similar in construction to the Film Industries and Trix microphones....

http://www.xaudia.com/xaudia/Galleries/Pages/EV_FilmIndustries.html#10

I have just found one of these in my father in law's loft but the cable has come off. It has 3 pins on the connector, two close together and one on its own. I've worked out the one on its own is the earth but don't know which is +ive. Any clues by looking at how yours is wired? Which pin does the tip of the jack plug go to - left or right if the earth is at the top?

o

L o o R

Ground should be the unique pin.

We don't know if the mic is high or low impedance, but often these old mics are balanced, so one of the other pins will be hot (+ve) and the other cold (-ve).  Personally I would wire it to an XLR connector.

You will need to check phase by trial and error. So take a guess, and then compare with a known good mic by speaking into them whilst listening through headphones.  If the mics are out of phase then just swap the L & R wires.

Hope that helps. If you get stuck then maybe post some photos.

Stewart

(However, some mic manufacturers did odd things - for example Reslo often put different impedance outputs on different pins, and the ground on the barrel )

Latest posts

Back